New Beardie Owner with concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveholder

So vaguely recently I got a 3-year old beardie and he’s never been the most friendly. We had an issue with the heatwave and with a UV bulb for a while but his vivarium is fixed. Around September he started to develop stress marks along his stomach. I tried almost anything I could to distress him but nothing was working. I post here because he vomited in his water. After my mother, the wonderful mother she is, made fun of me for crying over him in a panic, I decided to ask here. I don’t know what’s going wrong. He’s got loads of water, greens and crickets. He runs regularly but he’s stressed and ill and I want to know how I can help him

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I'm sorry she's having issues. Can you give a rundown of the set up? Can you post a picture of the beardie and the set up?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How old is your dragon ?
How much does he weight ?

Show us the setup and tell us exactly what lights you have (types, wattages, UV ratings, brands) and how far is the UV source (globe or tube) from the basking spot. Photos.

Run down on his diet and feeding schedule (when & what and what size are the bugs).

Other animals in the house that might be seen by him or scaring him.

Lighting schedule.

Show these "stress marks" and what he look like top, and sides.

You say he vomited up water ? …. did you see this happen or infer it or was told this by someone else ?
….was he in the bath at the time or simply drinking at a water dish (not very common as they generally wont drink standing water from a dish). Might have asperated some the water which is a serious issue and can result in a serious RI.

Steveholder

Original Poster
102884-670859185.jpg
102884-4088349594.jpg
This is my setup and lizard in question. His lights run from 7 to 7 in Winter. I refill the water when needed and I feed him watercress and similar greens and crickets/roaches/worms. I feed him when he wakes up and when I get home.

jjkima

I'm sorry to hear about you're struggles as a new beardie owner. I too just adopted a second beardie and would be worried sick.
Vomit is concerning but you have to be sure it is vomit (make sure it wasn't a poo!) , and make sure it doesn't happen again. Check on the water a lot, and change it often.
Stress marks is a new one, but bearded dragons have striped patterns on their bellies.
I would suggest making sure your dragons schedule is exact. (My dragons know when to go into their home for bed and when their food bowl is about to get filled) My beardie goes from her basking area into her hide at 6 every night. She wakes up right now at 5
Give your dragon an hour or so to wake up in the morning before bothering them. After an hour give them a diverse selection of greens. Currently our two eat turnip, mustard and collard greens with butternut squash and green bell peppers. These are all high in nutritional value for our friends.
Make sure protein is a 2-3 times a week thing. I would also suggest finding a bigger perch for your beardie that is closer to their heating lamp. With options, a high perch, and area they can hide under and an area in the middle.
Winter time lights should be 10-11 hours and Summer 12-13 to mimic what is in nature.
Especially for an adult dragon, eliminating cricket may be your best bet. Superworms and hornworms as a treat would be ideal. Crickets are low in any kind of nutritional value for them.
You definitely have enough space but filling the space can help with small dragons from feeling anxious with so much area.
If you are still worried and the symptoms get worse of an overly anxious dragon, an exotic vet will always help. Yearly check ups are always good for any pet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom