New baby beardie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally new beardie owner here! Actually Toothless is the first reptile I’ve owned, unless you count lazy slug dogs lol. I’ve read through a ton of forum posts, online articles, watched several YouTube videos, but still have some questions I’m hoping can get answered.

1. Lighting - does the UVB light need to extend across the entire tank?
2. Vitamins - I’m getting mixed information about them, does the calcium need to be with or without Vitamin D? From what I’ve read, I should do calcium 5 days a week and a multivitamin twice a week?
3. Water/Bathing - How often should I be bathing him? He doesn’t seem to drink water, once I got him into the bath he protested heavily but when I started dribbling water on his head he finally understood and drank, but didn’t really want to stay in the bath very long, though it was his first time, I’m guessing they get more used to it and into it over time?
4. Misting - How often should I mist him? I know signs of dehydration are wrinkled skin and I *think* holding his mouth open? Should I mist only when I notice that or every day? He doesn’t always seem to like it either.
5. Feeding - I cannot for the life of me get him to eat greens, I’ve tried mustard and collared but that’s all the local store offers and the closest other store is 45 minutes away (small town). I also offer squash baby food, two different “beardie bites” little pellets and one has dried mealworms and grasshoppers mixed in and a baby beardie thing that looks like tiny purple spaghetti and smells good. Occasionally someone in the house will see him eating a few things off his plate but never greens. Also he doesn’t seem to be eating as many crickets as expected, however all I could get in town was medium so they’re a little big for him, he’ll eat 5 or so each feeding, which is 3 times a day. I did discover I can order small ones off Amazon, so those should be here any day, hoping he’ll eat more. Also he’s incredibly spoiled and will only eat them out of my hand. Should I be encouraging him to hunt more? Any suggestions? Advice?
6. Playtime - I’ve read little about playtime, some recommended colorful ping-pong balls, I let him run around our trampoline this weekend (it’s netted so it was totally enclosed and safe) any other suggestions? Advice? How often should I attempt to play with him?
7. Outside time - This weekend was incredibly beautiful, I took him outside to enjoy *real* UVB rays, we were outside for about 30min each day for the last 3 days and he protests going back inside every time. How long/often should he go/be outside?

Anything else I should know, keep an eye on, worry about? Sorry for such a long post, thanks in advance for any help offered!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's obvious by all your Q's that you're a very conscientious beardie parent. :) I'll try to remember everything so.....

Calcium with D3 twice a week, very lightly on one meal, calcium w/out D3 the rest of trhe days. As he gets older these can be reduced to 2 days with + 2 days without. Some people vary from this routine, no one knows 100 % for sure what is the best regimen but I've raised beardies for 25 years + this has worked for me. Vitamins just twice a week, as they become adults 1-2 X a week. All powdering done very lightly.

The light can be 2/3 of the tank. Generally a little longer or shorter all works out fine.

Bathing can be dome once a week unless beardie gets poo on him or having a tough shed. Dribbling water on his snout is excellent, insures hydration. Spraying the dragon lightly in the tank [ briefly ] on the snout will also give him a drink + aid in shedding. You don't want a soggy tank so just a bit on his snout .

The prepared foods + freeze dried or not very good. Offer live bugs, you'll be set when the little crickets come. Hopefully the weather will insure safe delivery. Too hot or TOO cold can kill them but it sounds like it's nice + warm where you live . :) Getting him outside is one of the best things you can do , as long as he's not in a container that can heat up , be VERY careful he doesn't get overheated. I used to put my babies out when is was below 80F, in a kiddie pool. and artificial shade must be created + babies must be watched [ above 80F the plastic gets too hot ] Here's a pic :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29981/full

Hand feeding is fine, he'll learn to hunt eventually. :) Don't worry too much about greens but continue to offer the ones that arent as tough, offer kale, turnip, mustard. Just take one large leaf and hold it in front of him. Even if he doesn't eat it [ they tear little bites off ] you can prop it up in the tank + he may go for it at other times. Oh, when you get your crickets delivered, open the box over a plastic storage tote + shake/smack the container . otherwise the crix will get out all over the place.

Can you post pis of your baby and his set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

ToothlessTheBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":2y3vnwom said:
Hi there, it's obvious by all your Q's that you're a very conscientious beardie parent. :) I'll try to remember everything so.....

Calcium with D3 twice a week, very lightly on one meal, calcium w/out D3 the rest of trhe days. As he gets older these can be reduced to 2 days with + 2 days without. Some people vary from this routine, no one knows 100 % for sure what is the best regimen but I've raised beardies for 25 years + this has worked for me. Vitamins just twice a week, as they become adults 1-2 X a week. All powdering done very lightly.

The light can be 2/3 of the tank. Generally a little longer or shorter all works out fine.

Bathing can be dome once a week unless beardie gets poo on him or having a tough shed. Dribbling water on his snout is excellent, insures hydration. Spraying the dragon lightly in the tank [ briefly ] on the snout will also give him a drink + aid in shedding. You don't want a soggy tank so just a bit on his snout .

The prepared foods + freeze dried or not very good. Offer live bugs, you'll be set when the little crickets come. Hopefully the weather will insure safe delivery. Too hot or TOO cold can kill them but it sounds like it's nice + warm where you live . :) Getting him outside is one of the best things you can do , as long as he's not in a container that can heat up , be VERY careful he doesn't get overheated. I used to put my babies out when is was below 80F, in a kiddie pool. and artificial shade must be created + babies must be watched [ above 80F the plastic gets too hot ] Here's a pic :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29981/full

Hand feeding is fine, he'll learn to hunt eventually. :) Don't worry too much about greens but continue to offer the ones that arent as tough, offer kale, turnip, mustard. Just take one large leaf and hold it in front of him. Even if he doesn't eat it [ they tear little bites off ] you can prop it up in the tank + he may go for it at other times. Oh, when you get your crickets delivered, open the box over a plastic storage tote + shake/smack the container . otherwise the crix will get out all over the place.

Can you post pis of your baby and his set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it. I’ll get a pic of him and his set up on my lunch today.

I read that freeze dried food isn’t near as nutritional and live crickets and worms, I mainly use it for treats but he doesn’t usually eat it anyways. Right now he’s only eating about 10-15 crickets a day but I think that’s because they’re a little too big, looking forward to the smaller ones. I have a little tank and food for them so they don’t have to stay in whatever they’re shipped in.

He sat on my shoulder when outside. Even got to run around on our trampoline (it’s netted so none of the other animals can get in and he can’t get out. He seemed to enjoy it until the neighbor dogs were out barking up a storm. It was about 65f outside but pretty toasty in the sun.

He’s really not a fan of baths but I’m guessing he’ll get more used to then as he get older and more into our routine.

I’ve read that kale isn’t all the great for them? Not a nutritional as other greens?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Beardie on the trampoline, like a big playground. :) And the bad review on kale is just misinformation so no worries.

ToothlessTheBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":2nqsbhj2 said:
Beardie on the trampoline, like a big playground. :) And the bad review on kale is just misinformation so no worries.

I’m worried that he got burned on the trampoline! The underside of his tail is red and he does *not* want to be touched today. ?

Landlsmom

I’ve read the questions and answers at least 3x. It’s great to have this available for newbies. My son has been asking for a snake or lizard since he was 5. He’s turning 12 Jan 22nd and I’ve finally caved. The deal was he’d have to reach in the container at Petsmart and grab a cricket for feeding. If he could do this then we’d get his Fancy Bearded Dragon for his birthday. Well friends he did!

We spent an ungodly amount of money for all of the accessories. Wish I would have done some research b4 investing. Could have saved us some $. Needless to say Mushu is now a part of our family! So I must admit I’ve been swooned! This little girl (assuming it’s a girl) is adorable! I’ve done so much research since we’ve purchased “her” The more research I do the more nervous I get that I’m not doing things right. My son will be devastated if something happens to her and so would I.

I bought the aquarium desert set. Supposedly everything included. NOT! However regardless I have the UVA/Basking ceramic with bulb. The next day realizing we needed UVB went back and bought a hood with the rectisun UVB bulb. We have the calcium which we coat the crickets with. We have a spray bottle we spritz her with however we havent given her a bath yet. We bought her Sat late afternoon so it’s only been 3 1/2 days. She’s pooped everyday however she doesn’t eat 15 plus crickets a day. Maybe 2 each sitting morning & night. I’ve made her a nice collarded greens, sweet bell pepper & red cabbage salad. Added a couple sweet snap peas to it today. Food processed to avoid big pieces.

I just want to make sure I’m doing ok. I read about vitamins somewhere. 5 days of calcium and then 2 days of vitamins. I suppose my question is am I doing enough? What am I missing? She’s VERY small!!!!! 3-4” I’m think maybe 3wks old. I’ve heard Petsmart sells them prematurely. I am completely out of my element here. So any tips would be appreciated. Currently she is snuggled into my lap with a fleece blanket.

102888-1743942811.jpg
102888-6677138316.jpg

Landlsmom":hilpgzn3 said:
I’ve read the questions and answers at least 3x. It’s great to have this available for newbies. My son has been asking for a snake or lizard since he was 5. He’s turning 12 Jan 22nd and I’ve finally caved. The deal was he’d have to reach in the container at Petsmart and grab a cricket for feeding. If he could do this then we’d get his Fancy Bearded Dragon for his birthday. Well friends he did!

We spent an ungodly amount of money for all of the accessories. Wish I would have done some research b4 investing. Could have saved us some $. Needless to say Mushu is now a part of our family! So I must admit I’ve been swooned! This little girl (assuming it’s a girl) is adorable! I’ve done so much research since we’ve purchased “her” The more research I do the more nervous I get that I’m not doing things right. My son will be devastated if something happens to her and so would I.

I bought the aquarium desert set. Supposedly everything included. NOT! However regardless I have the UVA/Basking ceramic with bulb. The next day realizing we needed UVB went back and bought a hood with the rectisun UVB bulb. We have the calcium which we coat the crickets with. We have a spray bottle we spritz her with however we havent given her a bath yet. We bought her Sat late afternoon so it’s only been 3 1/2 days. She’s pooped everyday however she doesn’t eat 15 plus crickets a day. Maybe 2 each sitting morning & night. I’ve made her a nice collarded greens, sweet bell pepper & red cabbage salad. Added a couple sweet snap peas to it today. Food processed to avoid big pieces.

I just want to make sure I’m doing ok. I read about vitamins somewhere. 5 days of calcium and then 2 days of vitamins. I suppose my question is am I doing enough? What am I missing? She’s VERY small!!!!! 3-4” I’m think maybe 3wks old. I’ve heard Petsmart sells them prematurely. I am completely out of my element here. So any tips would be appreciated. Currently she is snuggled into my lap with a fleece blanket.

102888-1743942811.jpg
102888-6677138316.jpg

I'd highly recommend keeping an eye on her. Petsmart does a little worse than sell them prematurely. From personal experience I was sold one with yellow fungus (a fatal health issue) and they generally don't have great care for them. The set up will have to be upgraded assuming you only have a 20 gal tank, it will have to be upgraded to a 40 gal breeder once she gets bigger, atm shes fine in the 20. If she is in a 40 I'd highly recommend downgrading to a 20 as it could be hard for he to catch her food with so much space. We can't give to much say on what you have set up since we don't know the specifics, like if the crickets are to big or if the basking spot is hot enough. For a guideline, the crickets shouldn't be bigger than the space between the beardie's eyes. From what you're saying, I think it's actually great that your beardie is eating at all. In most cases they wont eat for around a week give or take before they start eating. As for the greens, most young beardies are more focused on crickets since they want that protein to grow. The basking spot should also sit around 90-110F. It may help you to find a dedicated reptile store near you to get feeder insects from because Petsmart's are generally more expensive. Judging by the current set up you have, you have repticarpet which is potentially not the greatest, as it has mixed reviews on if it is great or terrible. From a few readings I've read that they can get their claws caught on it but I've personally never had my beardies on repticarpet. I'd recommend you get tile put in for a few reasons. Number one, its the safest substrate, as it has no possible way of hurting a beardie that I know of. Examples being some substrates can be eaten like sand. You dont have that issue with repticarpet. Tile also has the potential to help with heat. Tile also natural files your beardies claws down to prevent them from getting to long and sharp, it will prevent your kid from getting scratched up from the beardie. Note, beardies won't typically scratch you intentionally, they just try and get comfortable.

Landlsmom

Hi there thank you for the quick response. Yes I was afraid of that concerning Petsmart. Well I’m embarrassed to admit but that man at Petsmart said his son had a full gown Bearded Dragon and for now he’d suggest the 10 gal. I figured he knew what he was talking about given he had one at home. Supposedly! I posted a pic of the exact habitat we bought. I also bought a thermo temp reader. I read that the strips you place on the glass are useless. I have the temp regulated appropriately and have temporarily (after researching more) adjusted the UVB light so that it’s direct and not on top of the mesh screen. Mushu ate 1 small and 2 good size crickets tonight. He ate 2 of them out of mine and my sons hands. Then ran after the other one and after a few attempts was successful.

Yes I plan on doing the tile however we will wait until we need to upgrade the tank.
102888-626903554.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Mushu's a cutie and looks quite healthy ! I agree that some dragons don't eat much when they first come home but it's also due to the size, that crick is pretty big so be sure that none are larger than that ! If I remember, you have a shipment of smaller ones coming ?

BTW, I know he/she looks tiny to you but it's def. not 3-4 "/ More like 6". They actually hatch out at 3.5 -4.5" long. I've hatched a large number of these guys over the years so although yours looks small to you it's definitely at least 1-2 months old. Small, but not dangerously so. Very hot colors BTW !

Oh, I just read that you got a 10 gallon ? You should take it back + say you want the larger set up.

Landlsmom

Wow really? 1 to 2 months? Oh wow!! Yes I read that the spine can be damaged if they are too big. He ate 2 that size this evening plus a small one. Yikes I wonder if I can do that... The box is already tossed. Grrr I’m mad at myself
For not researching before hand. I really had NO clue what all this involved. However we are vested and even though we’ve only had her a few days we love the little thing. She’s so stinkin cute.

I also read that when they willingly crawl into your hand, or eat from your hand and snuggle in when your cuddling with them that it’s a good sign of acceptance and trust. I realize it’s very premature but we are hopeful that she is happy with us, happy in general. Also I read that it’s best to paper all sides except the front. What are your thoughts on that? We have 2 boys and 2 huskeys so there a lot of movement in our home.

Here is our current set up

102888-2771601086.jpg
102888-8057852322.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your set up is great ! Too bad Mushu will outgrow it in no time. Paper is fine , some dragons are more stressed than others. Baby looks happy there . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom