baytril?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilyj521

I just got back from taking my beardie, Mochi, to the vet. I feared she had tail rot and it seems I was correct. The vet prescribed Mochi some baytril to take orally as an antibiotic, and some silver sulfadiazene cream to apply to her tail as it heals.He also said if the tail gets any worse, to bring her in and have it trimmed. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with baytril and could tell me about its side effects, and particularly its effectiveness. I’m mostly wondering if it’s actually likely to fix the problem, or if im going to have to just have it amputated anyway. I know there’s no clear way to know that, but if it’s gonna end up being amputation anyway, I’d rather get it done sooner rather than later to save as much of her tail as possible. I’ve included a couple pictures of Mochi and her tail! :) If anyone has any info, either on baytril or silver sulfadiazene, it would be greatly appreciated :) thank you so much!!
98017-4679138791.jpg
98017-7351612863.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Baytril is routinely used for infections, & is usually very effective in most cases. It is a broad
spectrum antibiotic & tends to be a little harsh on the system. I would definitely keep your
girl well hydrated while she is on the meds.
You could even give some probiotics as well if it affects her appetite any.

****KarrieRee- tail rot is an infection caused by some type of trauma to the tissue whether it
be a bite from another dragon, or retained shed which caused damage, etc. It can get treated
& most of the time the majority of the tail can be saved****

Tracie

lilyj521

Original Poster
Drache613":1x8ucog4 said:
Hello,

Baytril is routinely used for infections, & is usually very effective in most cases. It is a broad
spectrum antibiotic & tends to be a little harsh on the system. I would definitely keep your
girl well hydrated while she is on the meds.
You could even give some probiotics as well if it affects her appetite any.

****KarrieRee- tail rot is an infection caused by some type of trauma to the tissue whether it
be a bite from another dragon, or retained shed which caused damage, etc. It can get treated
& most of the time the majority of the tail can be saved****

Tracie

Okay, thank you so much!! Also, do you happen to know anything about dosages? She was prescribed to take .14 ML a day until the bottle of stuff is gone, and it has 6 ML in it. That seems like it’ll make her be on it for quite a while, is that normal?

edit: i looked at the bottle and its a 6 oz bottle but its not filled all the way up so maybe thats not so bad, I’ve given her two .14 ML doses, and now the bottle is about 1/3 full, I don’t remember how full it was when we got it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom