I need help. I’m pregnant...what to do with my beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve just discovered that I am pregnant. My beardie is my baby and my life and joy, and I don’t want to get rid of her. My husbands grandmother is trying to insist on me getting rid of her, but I really don’t want to. What can I do to help make sure that my beardie is okay, that I’m okay, and that my child is okay??? I’ve stopped handling her for the most part, my husband is the one bathing her, cleaning her cage, feeding her... I’m still petting her and have contact with her occasionally and make sure to wash my hands and shower immediately after putting her down. What else can I do???

TeddyWyon

Unless your beardie has an infectious parasite or carries salmonella (unlikely if they were born and raised in captivity, but if you are really worried then take them to a vet to get tested) then there is zero health risk to you or your baby. Dragons, just like cats and dogs, really can't get another species sick. Not only that, but they posses excellent immune systems aren't likely to get sick in the first place.
If your beardie is happy and healthy, then there is absolutely zero risk to you. If you really are afraid, then make sure the beardie goes to a good home. But if not? You're perfectly alright.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
LilCrawfish":263kyka4 said:
I’ve just discovered that I am pregnant. My beardie is my baby and my life and joy, and I don’t want to get rid of her. My husbands grandmother is trying to insist on me getting rid of her, but I really don’t want to. What can I do to help make sure that my beardie is okay, that I’m okay, and that my child is okay??? I’ve stopped handling her for the most part, my husband is the one bathing her, cleaning her cage, feeding her... I’m still petting her and have contact with her occasionally and make sure to wash my hands and shower immediately after putting her down. What else can I do???
Pregnancy is no reason to get rid of your dragon. You are taking good precautions, though a little extreme, all will be fine. You are more apt to catch something harmful from a dog or a cat. Tell HER to relax and, not to worry.
If your dragon husbandry is good (aka: bacteria or fungus free) there shouldn't be any chance of a problem. Even that would only be a sliver of a chance.
The only problem I can see is, that in 9 months you will have your hands full and, your dragon won't get the attention he is used to.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, no need to be overly worried but caution IS in order. Beardies + most reptiles DO carry salmonella, they don't always shed it but most carry it. Having said that, much of the raw meat we handle + prepare carries harmful bacteria so we just use the same precautions of proper hand washing.

Don't bath the beardie in your sinks or bath tub [ I hate when I see this on the forums, beardies in a kitchen sink ] but same goes for the bath tub. Let your hubby do most of the cleaning and always wash hands well. Don't let the baby crawl on areas that the beardie crawls on + change your shirt if the beardie climbed on you . Dragons can most definitely get you sick so just be diligent but not paranoid.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I agree. I have immunity issues and we have 4 young children - they shouldn’t be telling you to get rid of him/her. Also unless his grandmother is going to not prepare chicken in her house, not touch things when out to bring bacteria home then are you never going to go visit her with your child? Because those things bring germs and illness risk too.
If you get a baby bath to bath the dragon in so he isn’t using your bath or sinks ( I do this too and I recommend anyone bathing theirs in their sinks look at getting one also) and wash your hands after handling him the risk is not that big.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Your baby when he or she arrives will be perfectly safe .

Just wash your hands like you would anyway .
It wont harm the child to be exposed to some germs & dirt, it will help build the child's immune system ( I really think parents these days are too worried about germs and not doing their children any favours by trying to raise them in a sterile bubble) .

Tell the old woman you will be keeping the dragon and she had better get used to it , as it's none of her darned business unless you live in her house. The baby is MUCH MORE LIKELY to catch some desease from her than from the dragon.
My grandson has been regularly exposed to my pet lizards from the getgo, and to the area of the floor where these get to go freerange (when he was crawling and a rugrat) , even allowed to touch the big bluetongue skinks and the bearded dragons. He was also taught to be gentle with them and helped poppy feed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom