Stunted Growth and veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0olmini

I think I slightly guilty of underfeeding my beardie in trying to get her to eat veggies, she is almost half a year old. I learned that error of my ways but I am somewhat afraid that I this will stunt her future growth. Her body length without her tail is 6 inches. What I did is I would give her veggies and feed her insects if she ate some veggies.

Second topic, I am still having trouble with her eating veggies does anyone have any tips?

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Hi k0olmini » - I believe I can help you with this - a few months back I adopted a very stunted growth female beardie - sounds a lot like yours except mine may have been bit worse as she could not eat on her own, or walk, the rescue place thought she was paralyzed. She turned around within 3 weeks of syringe feedings - for protein I actually had to use baby food chicken.She has about tripled in size and runs a over the place - I've had her for 4 months now, looks like a different beardie.
Sadly you unknowingly caused a bit of malnutrition in your beardie by getting the food ratio's mixed up - this is easily fixed and please don't feel bad, its happens. Young beardies (under a year) need at least 80% protein to 20% veggies.
So, she needs PROTEIN - just like us, she needs protein to nourish her muscles and grow. Even vegans use protein powders and high in protein soy product.
If your beardie is eating on her own - give 2 feeding a day of insects, as many as she likes -if your feeding crickets, that's fine, but I would switch to Dubai roaches - a bit more expensive but much higher in protein. When mine started eating on her own, I would out Norma in a plastic bin with about 30 Dubai roaches and watch her go to town - it was great to watch her "become a beardie!"
She also really likes superworms - but they dont have as much protein as the Dubais and lots of fat - so go easy on them.
-Don't worry about the veggies right now. Leave a little salad in her dish in the tank (collard greens, butternut squash, green beans, zucchini - are my go to veggies) - her main concern now is getting her protein. She'll eat the salad if she wants. She's not stupid, if she were out in the wild, she would do certain things naturally, her own instincts would dictate what her body needed and aat this age she'd be devouring insects -so let her eat the insects. Make sure you dust them with calcium with d3 - she may have a bit of metabolic bone, so lets nip that in the bud.

-Can you tell me about her lighting and tank set up?? If you live in the warm weather - (or in the summer) fresh air and sunshine!!
I recommend Mercury Vapor bulbs as they have heat, uva and uvb - as they are as close to real sun as you can get.

FYI - besides Norma I also have a giant beardie named Kevin that is a free range beardie (no tank) - he too is a rescue. They both go to the vet once a year for a thorough check - Norma went and just a few weeks ago and she is well past the nourishment and mbd.
I did a lot of research into beardies from getting Kevin, from how they are in the wild to talking to herpetologists to just talking to the vet and online chat rooms - you'll be fine - you'll get her turned around. :D

Day I took Norma home August 2018
102444-4825526346.jpg

December 2018
102444-3433860541.jpg

with GodKing - Kevin
102444-7662923294.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Koolmini, you got a lot of good advice from KevinsMom. I did notice that you mentioned that your dragon is about 12" [ 6" body, probably 6" tail ] If that's so then it's not too bad for a 5 month old dragon so he'll catch up easily. :) Just increase the insect feedings and offer the salads every day. The goal is not to have a power-fed super beardie that looks like a hulk [ this does not equate to the best health ] nor do you want to stunt him. He should be fine in the long run.

Can you post a few pics of him ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom