Beardie been staring at glass for hours! *Beardie Newbie*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixxx

Hey guys! So only recently have I gotten a bearded dragon as an early Christmas present. I've been worrying sick and not able to focus on other things in my life because I can't tell if he's healthy or not. I've read so many articles and tried so many things that I've cut out a large portion of my screen cover that lets my UV bulb pass since I read that it blocks a lot of what it's actually putting out. Yesterday, its urate was awfully solid. Today, it's changed back to normal but he has been acting particularly strange lately. He has been at his basking spot the whole time I've been home staring at the glass. He doesn't seem to notice food and when he does, just licks it. When he licks it, I see that his tounge is much paler than what it was yesterday. I'm reaching to a point where I'm just stuck in a corner and not realizing I also have other priorities. I have no idea on what to do anymore and I need guidance! :oops:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, beardies going to a new home can be stressed and may become very inactive OR very hyper. He's probably fine, just adjusting to his new home. Offer water by dripping it on his snout to keep him hydrated,be patient + give him time to realize that it's a drink. BTW, are you careful to feed him bugs that are smaler than the space between his eyes ? If not he can become impacted, have a hard time pooing.

Can you post a few pics of baby + his set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Sixxx

Original Poster
102383-216550315.jpg
102383-5298338332.jpg
102383-2447533729.jpg
His tank is a 30 gal and hes about 3-4 months from what I've measured. Eats small crickets ( around 1/4 inches ) and is fed freshly watered collard greens with carrots/kale every 2 days. He also has a 10 Reptisun UVB Bulb and has a heating lamp and a basking lamp. The heating and basking lamp lang at around 103F in these winter months. I keep the right door of my cage open because my humidity is at 40-50 and have no idea how to turn it down except for buying a dehumidifier (which i can't).

UPDATE: He's very healthy and active and his last urate was very normal. No stinky poo or anything. Eats crickets like he normally is supposed to but I'm still curious if there's anything that has to be improved.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks quite healthy and from what you say he is doing well. :) One thing to get him is a good uvb bulb. The small ones that fit in the dual fixture that you have are not really strong enough. A long tube bulb covers more area + produces more uvb. Reptisun 10.0 t5 or Arcadia D3 12% or 14% are both good bulbs.

Your set up looks good ! Keep in mind that he'll grow VERY quickly and will need a much bigger tank in just a couple of months. You can but a large tank [ at least a 50 gal. ] but preferably bigger. Some places sell beautiful enclosures like this :

https://www.facebook.com/centexreptilecages/

https://www.zenhabitats.com/

Sixxx

Original Poster
Really happy that hes going strong! Its been finals week so me stressing out about my dragon is another addition that i just cant handle. But my UVB is at the back of the tank, not in the dual fixture. Is that still okay? Also ive cut a portion of the top mesh that covers the UVB so that uvb can pass through much easier.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I apologize, you sure did mention the tube uvb right from your first post. My bad for my brain blip. :roll:

So how is he doing today ? Have you offered extra hydration ?

Sixxx

Original Poster
AHBD":dzyi92rc said:
I apologize, you sure did mention the tube uvb right from your first post. My bad for my brain blip. :roll:

So how is he doing today ? Have you offered extra hydration ?
He's been going very well today! Though, his poop today was a little runny.. I'm not sure what i'm missing but i hope this is just a one time stool. I'll check again tomorrow. Another new thing is that he is starting to shed! He has been so sociable today and I'll be giving him his bath tomorrow for his skin. Thanks for the concerns!

akacazza

To be honest, I think you’re over stressing.
He looks happy and that matting is great. I can see the UVB is the tube (which is correct) and you’ve got a heat light that is well placed etc. the only possible tank alterations I’d make (other than getting a bigger tank when you can afford it) is that beardies tend to enjoy their basking spot being a rock or a log (if you can’t get a rock at the right level). They like to have their tummies warmed up as well as their backs. If I’m not mistaken, cold tummies can lead to digestion problems.
He looks like he loves his matting but perhaps it could be moved or a flat rock put on part of it?

Otherwise it’s just the simple things you would have read - the insect-veg ratio depends on age. Gut load crickets etc. dust them with calcium (I add a multivitamin to my boys veggies to ensure all is well, if you do that, make sure the vit A & D are suitably).
If you have the door open, make sure it’s not creating cold areas. I have my boys lid up when it’s hot, but down when it’s cold - but I live in eastern Australia, so the natural humidity is different.

He will take a while to settle in and you’ll need to possibly make up for his previous owners mistakes (I rescued mine, so he was malnutritished, skinny & lethargic due to having no heat lamp at all for almost 2 years).
Where did your boy come from? He looks pretty healthy, no eye puffing or lip sagging. Their tongues do look pretty pale in general so I wouldn’t worry about it. But make sure his mouth isn’t goopy or sore. If he opens his mouth, check for red marks.
It’s ideal to take a fecal sample to a vet so they can ensure there aren’t any parasites etc.

Otherwise they are hardly little bastards who can handle most of what life throws at them. Often they want love and cuddles, though it will stress some out, so you can play that by ear.
Their fecal matter is forever changing consistency depending on what they’ve eaten. So long as it’s not too mushy & they don’t get constpation or impactions. You should be all good.

Stop stressing and just enjoy him. He’s checking out his new environment (possibly seeing his reflection in the glass and trying to work if it’s friend or foe).
Just give me lots of healthy foods and lots of love and you should be all good. You’ve done everything right that I can see :)

Sixxx

Original Poster
akacazza":1izmbmt7 said:
To be honest, I think you’re over stressing.
He looks happy and that matting is great. I can see the UVB is the tube (which is correct) and you’ve got a heat light that is well placed etc. the only possible tank alterations I’d make (other than getting a bigger tank when you can afford it) is that beardies tend to enjoy their basking spot being a rock or a log (if you can’t get a rock at the right level). They like to have their tummies warmed up as well as their backs. If I’m not mistaken, cold tummies can lead to digestion problems.
He looks like he loves his matting but perhaps it could be moved or a flat rock put on part of it?

Otherwise it’s just the simple things you would have read - the insect-veg ratio depends on age. Gut load crickets etc. dust them with calcium (I add a multivitamin to my boys veggies to ensure all is well, if you do that, make sure the vit A & D are suitably).
If you have the door open, make sure it’s not creating cold areas. I have my boys lid up when it’s hot, but down when it’s cold - but I live in eastern Australia, so the natural humidity is different.

He will take a while to settle in and you’ll need to possibly make up for his previous owners mistakes (I rescued mine, so he was malnutritished, skinny & lethargic due to having no heat lamp at all for almost 2 years).
Where did your boy come from? He looks pretty healthy, no eye puffing or lip sagging. Their tongues do look pretty pale in general so I wouldn’t worry about it. But make sure his mouth isn’t goopy or sore. If he opens his mouth, check for red marks.
It’s ideal to take a fecal sample to a vet so they can ensure there aren’t any parasites etc.

Otherwise they are hardly little bastards who can handle most of what life throws at them. Often they want love and cuddles, though it will stress some out, so you can play that by ear.
Their fecal matter is forever changing consistency depending on what they’ve eaten. So long as it’s not too mushy & they don’t get constpation or impactions. You should be all good.

Stop stressing and just enjoy him. He’s checking out his new environment (possibly seeing his reflection in the glass and trying to work if it’s friend or foe).
Just give me lots of healthy foods and lots of love and you should be all good. You’ve done everything right that I can see :)
Wow what an amazing community! Regarding where I got Ekko (his name), I traveled for hours to find the right Petco/Petsmart since the nearest breeder was around 5 hours away. Ekko had many healthy cagemates and he was the biggest one out of them, meaning he was most likely the healthiest one. My options in getting a dragon was very slim since travel and money was at a low. Though, I think he'll make a fine reptile. Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Nothing wrong with getting him at a pet store, you have a right to get what you want wherever you want. :) Some members here have very healthy pet store dragons. And that poo is fine, looks like Ekko is well hydrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom