damp looking patch at the base of the tail + dry, gray tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValBCN

Hi,

This week I noticed that one of my hatchlings has developed a yellowish-brown, damp-looking patch at the base of the tail, plus the tip looks gray and withered. I don't know exactly when this started, but it cannot be more than 4-5 days, as I handle them every day and feed them one by one, although there was a day or two when my daughter did the feeding. I wonder if this is the dreaded yellow fungus and what can have happened/will happen to the tip of the tail. Can both things be related? The baby is looking a bit thin (they're two months old tomorrow) which again is kind of new, but he's still eating with gusto.
full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post a few more pics without the sun glare ? I'm afraid it does look like Y.F/ Post pics of their tank ASAP in case there's something that needs addressed.

The end has tail rot, it should be snipped off right above where the trouble spot is. The baby will need to be in a tank by itself once that's done. Sorry that the baby is having these troubles. How are the other ones ?

ValBCN

Original Poster
The others are fine so far. What can cause the tail rot? And the fungus? I'll try to take a better picture. But Ive applied an antibiótic/antifungus crean and It seems to be doing something. I have not yet found a decent vet in the área but I haven't yet lost hope. I'm near Barcelona so there must be someone who knows about reptiles somewhere nearby. The tail nipping sounds dreadful, I hope i can find someone to do it son, as I imagine it's urgent.

ValBCN

Original Poster
Uldate: the damp patch looks drier today, the skin looks less translucent there. I keep applying my crean and It looks like It might be working... Fingers crossed! It's bad enough that the poor wee guy will have his tail cut.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It may not be Y.F., but can you post a few more pics of it ? Pics of it with no ointment on, I can usually tell. And post pics of their set up as well. Is it damp in their enclosure ?

And the tail snipping you can do yourself. It is not a painful thing for them , babies nip off each other's tails all the time and the bitten ones are still thriving + eating the same day. They don't feel too much pain in the tail. Just sterilize a pair of sharp scissors and snip it off quickly. Keep it clean afterwards [ no loose substrate to get stuck on it ] and keep him separate from the other babies It may bleed just a bit but not much. . If the bad piece is not cut off the infection will often travel up further and he can die from septicemia. Just go right ahead + do it. You can soak his tail in a betadine solution for a few days afterwards, mix the betadine with water until it looks the color of iced tea.

ValBCN

Original Poster
Yes, sorry, I didnt copy the link properly. I think it's ok now. This is another picture, from below.
98892-277841818.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Side shot doesn't show anything, sorry to ask but can you get a few more of just the underneath , without the foot in the way ? I know it's not easy holding a baby for pics.

It almost looks like a slight burn.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
More close up shots would be better but I just thought of something. Your other dragon had retained shed on it's tail in the same spot. Is it possible that there was a piece of unshed skin there on this dragon and someone pulled it off ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom