why does my lizard hate food now

Status
Not open for further replies.
for a few months now my 9 year old girl has seemed to have problems with eating. After a few bites she'll start breathing deeply and puffing like she's bothered. Sometimes she just sees food and already acts stressed. She's stopped eating leaves altogether and the only food I can get her to eat is bugs, this one certain type of dry food (of the healthy ones that is), and fruit treats. She hardly eats much and I can't get her to eat more than a few tiny bits any time (except bugs which she'll gorge on), and she's very fatigued but doesn't seem to be brumating (just passes out on top of her logs rather than burying herself like usual); this has been going on for months and is out of her brumation habit. I brought her to a vet recently and he said she has a very healthy body weight and tested negative for parasites, so should I even be worried? She acts hungry but eats very little and seems stressed by eating, yet she has a healthy body and is parasite-free.

launpalm

I've had a similar experience with my little buddy too. Aside from making sure all the environment temps and bulbs are in place, have you tried giving the greens in between the bugs? When Drogo started to refuse all greens, I had to feed him a worm and then sneak bits and pieces of mustard greens into his mouth while he was chewing the worm. After about a week of doing that every night, and frequent baths/soaks, he started to snack on his greens again.

If you're using a staple green every day, maybe try switching to a different staple?

Soulsplosion

Original Poster
Yea her environment is fine; her basking spot is plenty warm and there’s plenty of areas to hide in less-warm spots. I’ve tried tricking her into eating greens using bait like bugs and fruit but she’s learned not to. She won’t even go after fruit if she knows I’m holding a leaf nearby and if she gets a leaf in her mouth she’ll spit it out aggressively. She even refuses less-green stuff like lettuce. Dry food and loaded bugs are the only things with greens in it that I can get her to eat

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If she's maintaining weight I wouldn't worry a whole lot about lack of appetite. Have you tried cutting squash into worm shapes for her? I've had good luck doing that. When you say she acts like she is stressed by eating does she show signs of pain? Have you checked her mouth for any sores or cuts that may be causing her pain when chewing? It may be worth picking up some serrapeptase (or offering silk worms) to help with inflammation if that is the culprit (it doesn't hurt otherwise).

Soulsplosion

Original Poster
The only signs of stress she shows when eating is breathing deeply (like she does when she's about to floof up) and then refusing to eat after. The vet also checked her teeth and mouth and said it looks healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom