Update on Beardie who isnt eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedoraht

So I've been posting recently about my dragon who has had a poor appetite for a few months now, and I brought him to the vet last week for a checkup and fecal.
His checkup came back completely normal, healthy weight, no abnormalities, etc.
And yesterday I got back his fecal and he tested negative for his float and giardia elisa.
I got a few recommendations from the vet, I installed a CHE so he has a warmer temp at night (was about 69-75 at night before, now I have it set to 85 on the warm side at night.)
I was also advised to stop dusting his food, as that could also be a cause. He also advised to stop hand feeding for now.
He also started shedding about 2 weeks ago, and his shedding process seems to be going very slowly.
The vet also said that there was a certain deformed that can act as an appetite stimulant.
I'm wondering if anyone has any particular recommendations, or if I should do anything at all different.
Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he is a healthy weight and is active then it may not be anything wrong. Those overnight temps are a bit warm in my opinion. I use a heat projector at night to keep the tank at around 70-73. Sometimes it helps ill dragons to keep their tanks up around 80 overnight, but having a cool down period overnight is natural for them.

Hedoraht

Original Poster
Thank you, I did change it down to 80 after your reply.
I wanted to update to say he has started eating again, he had 6 superworms a one large dubia yesterday, sadly I have some long work days so I cant always be there to monitor him, but his appetite seems to slowly be improving.
I leave him a mix of collards and cabbage before I leave for work in the morning.
I've also been eyeing the humidity more, it was around 49% last night, and it was down to 45% this morning, I left a fan running so hopefully that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom