Poorly baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyrorose

Hi everyone
I'm new to this so bare with me
I have a 4 month old what I think is a male called spyro and today we took a trip to the vets ? will try and keep it short. He has not been eating well and for the past three days has not had a thing not even his treats (wax worms) he's very slow and sleeps a lot and just looks constantly tired so I put it down to the winter slow down. But then I thought hes to young isn't he? So then the runny poops came along and then the thing that scared me the most was I saw that his tale was twitching also his head the next day this was Monday and Tuesday but nothing since also he is not growing much at all. The vets done and xray and a fecal test both came back fine but she did give me some worming stuff to try anyway. Next stop is some blood tests if this carrys on but want to avoid if possible.
He's in a 4ft viv
Temp is usealy at 35c and cooler side is 25c
He was on crickets and still won't eat any greens ?

Any help would be much appreciated right now I'm so worried about him . Thank you

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi,

Sorry to hear your little one isn't feeling well. What kind of UV & lighting are you using? Also, how much of what kind of greens & insects are you feeding him, and is his diet way off of normal? Are you keeping him on sand, carpet, or something else? I think twitching is a calcium issue, which could be due to lack of supplementation or bad UV. I'm not an expert though, so hopefully if you post some answers to the basics above, when someone who has a lot more experience checks in, they can jump in with suggestions.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to hear this, maybe we can offer some help though. First off, do not give this baby any meds. [ this irritates me so much ] when it has a negative fecal. The meds. are often harsh and it is no benefit at all but can make the baby worse. Next, forget the blood test for now. It sounds to me like your basking temp. is too low, get it up to 40C. That and post a pic of your tank. I think I know what kind of viv you have if you're in the U.K. [ you guys use the word " poorly ", that gives it away . :)
This may all be related to not enough heat and possibly not enough uvb as well.

Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Aaradimian":1l2616td said:
Hi,

Sorry to hear your little one isn't feeling well. What kind of UV & lighting are you using? Also, how much of what kind of greens & insects are you feeding him, and is his diet way off of normal? Are you keeping him on sand, carpet, or something else? I think twitching is a calcium issue, which could be due to lack of supplementation or bad UV. I'm not an expert though, so hopefully if you post some answers to the basics above, when someone who has a lot more experience checks in, they can jump in with suggestions.

Note that at 4 months old a little dragon should still be on nearly entirely a diet of live insects (3 times per day) with greens offered BUT NOT a large part of the diet.
Insects chosen from those listed here : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=242393

Basking spot NO HOTTER THAN 40 degC.
Warm zone aim for 35 degC
Cool zone aim for 28-30 degC
no colder than 24 degC overnight IN THE TANK
photoperiod 14-16 hrs per day.
UVB aim at basking spot 200 microW UVB / sq.cm

Spyrorose

Original Poster
Yes we are in the UK ? it is a wooden viv. I have upped the temperature so we shall see it that helps. I'm useing calci-dust and nutrirep multivitamin and he is only being fed one a day as I was told to do. It sometimes looks like he's going to be sick he opens his mouth gags but nothing comes out. And like I said he is not eating any greens al all

Don't know how to upload photos ??

Spyrorose

Original Poster
101743-7343479963.jpg
[ximg]101743
Ok so this is the t5 light that I got yesterday an will be fitted today

8901028111[/ximg]

Also this will be his 4th day with no food

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your set up is pretty good , you've done a nice job except for the wood chips. That may be a big part of the problem if he ate any of them by accident. You should get rid of it ASAP and just put down non adhesive shelf liner or newspaper. BTW, the new uvb bulb is good, what type did you have before ? One thing to mention about the uvb bulb, it should be mounted from above, not off to the side where it will glare in his eyes all day long.

Getting the temps. up should help as well, but it's very concerning that now he's opening + closing his mouth. None of his symptoms have anything at all to do with whether he eats veggies or not. Again, he may have swallowed a wood chip and also has been too cold to digest food or have much of an appetite. He might also have ADV [ atadenovirus ] which the vet can do a test for. Also, he is too small for a blood draw so don't let the vet do it. Best wishes to little Spyro.

Spyrorose

Original Poster
Thank you so much literally just put up the new set and is above ?. Temps have gone up to. I was unsure about the wood chips at first it seems to be a 50/50 topic so will look in to alternative options. He has no blockidge as vet checked and she did say that getting the blood would be hard and Is a very last option. Hopefully with the new changed he will perk up again. Thanks again life saver

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) Good to hear that the light is up above now, good move. BTW, an xray on a tiny dragon may not always show a blockage because of how small everything is inside. Is Spyro still pooing, and is it normal or just a bit of liquid ? Try some baby food squash mixed with water to keep him hydrated and ask the vet for a supplement called oxbow critical care. It's a highly nutritious food to be given via syringe.

Spyrorose

Original Poster
Ah I see well still pooing regularly just a lot runny then normal. Will give some baby food a bash tomorrow want to just wait and see if today's changes help first so will try him with some food a bit later. Thanks

Spyrorose

Original Poster
Sorry I have one more thing. Can some one pup up a picture of how they have the basking light I don't know where is best to position mine now that the uvb is on top.
Thank you

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I just have mercury vapor bulbs in my current set ups . MVB's are one large bulb that produces heat + light. So I can't show you anything helpful, but just position the uvb bulb along the top next to the heat bulb. It doesn't matter if it's at an angle at all.

Spyrorose

Original Poster
Ok so here's the update.
All clear from the vets and no parasites.
All symptoms look like he's in brumation.
He has stopped eating, he's sleeping a lot, very lazy and lethargic. Only problem is I think he's to young and way to small. He's between 4-6 months. Also he is still basking and staying out in the open. From what I have been researching I think it's definitely brumation, so any tips on basically keeping him alive I'm worried he will starve to death this is a first for us both. Do I need to change light and heat settings and do I keep some food in there just in case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom