Is my beardie hungry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mochwi

I just got my baby Bearded dragon (around 1 month) from a breeder. She arrived at my house at around 9:30 and Iput her in her tank. The breeder had socialized with this beardie for a good long while so she is very used to people. At the beginning she was here she was honestly very scared and didn't move a whole bunch but I held her and showed her around my room, which she seemed to really enjoy. I put her in her tank for a while and then brought her back out more times. She was super active and loved being held, I put her on my bed when she just LUNGED at a poster on my wall. I have a bunk bed and my bed is right next to the wall, I put posters all over it, brightly colored posters and she was just running back and forth to them on my bunk bed ocassionally trying to run up the wall and eat the characters noses. She seemed particularly interested in my beauty and the beast 2018 poster with all the characters on it, running and jumping at their skin and trying to eat them? Does this means she is hungry for insects because she is so active? I ordered tons of small dubia roaches which should be coming today but until then I don't have any insects for her. I made her a salad of parsley, grape, apple and a tiny bit of blackberry. This was the ONLY good in my fridge at the time so I just threw that together and sprinkles it with calcium. She hasn't touched it. Not only this, I know it's bad, but I don't have a heating bulb. I was planning on getting one ASAP but I do have a UVB that runs nearly the whole length of the 36 x 18 x 18 cage.
Any advice to help me would be awesome.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She is probably curious and probably hungry. She will probably love the roaches and dig in. She should get 2-3 meals per day all she wants in about 10 minutes or so. You may also want to get some black soldier fly larvae as well so she has some variety.

Which UVB light do you have? A T5 is a good choice for a tank that size. A basking light is a must as well so she has bright visible light and proper heat. Halogen flood lights work pretty well as basking lights.

Mochwi

Original Poster
CooperDragon":38qncloz said:
She is probably curious and probably hungry. She will probably love the roaches and dig in. She should get 2-3 meals per day all she wants in about 10 minutes or so. You may also want to get some black soldier fly larvae as well so she has some variety.

Which UVB light do you have? A T5 is a good choice for a tank that size. A basking light is a must as well so she has bright visible light and proper heat. Halogen flood lights work pretty well as basking lights.

I just got a heating bulb fixture and I am pretty sure she loves it! She is also eating a good amount of Dubia Roaches now and I am so proud of her. The only weird thing is that she is being so docile an friendly. I just had her out today and while she was in my hand she did this little wiggle and closed her eyes as I was petting her head. She kept doing this little wiggle and closing her eyes while I was petting her. Did I just get lucky with a super friendly bearded dragon?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like she just likes you and is settling in well =). I think most of them get to this point eventually.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Mochwi":2h0bpovi said:
I just got a heating bulb fixture and I am pretty sure she loves it! She is also eating a good amount of Dubia Roaches now and I am so proud of her. The only weird thing is that she is being so docile an friendly. I just had her out today and while she was in my hand she did this little wiggle and closed her eyes as I was petting her head. She kept doing this little wiggle and closing her eyes while I was petting her. Did I just get lucky with a super friendly bearded dragon?

Congratulations, you got beardie snuggles (the wiggling)! Mine was pretty friendly out of the gate and I've never had him hiss or try to bite, so maybe I lucked out too. He's 1 y.o. now, and every night my wife and I take him out around an hour before his lights go out. He will spend some time on her but always walk the length of the couch, climb up on my stomach and, after a bit of petting, do his little snuggle/wiggle to get comfortable. By the time the hour's up, he's a completely limp rag happily covered in a blanket I put over his head to block out the room lights.

One important point that CooperDragon made about the heating bulb is that it should be a visible light bulb and not a red IR one. People think they need to heat the viv at night and that beardies can't see the red, but they can, and it's very disruptive to their sleep to have lights on 24x7. As long as temps at night don't go below the low 60's, there's no need to heat. Desert temps fluctuate a great deal because of the lack of humidity, so they are used to it.

I had to play around with my light height and a probe-style (not those junky round ones in PetCo) thermometer to make sure his basking spot was about 105 degrees. It takes some fiddling around, but eventually I got it dialed in for the bulb I'm using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom