Bearded Dragon Sick/Changing Color

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

So if you've read my previous posts, you know I have "Spike", my bearded dragon. He has had it rough over the last few years due to poor care while I was away, but I have since gotten him back and rehabilitated him.

Over the last two weeks or so, I have seen a marked change in my beardie, he's more active, doesn't hide, and has his appitite back.

However, today I noticed that he has begun changing color along his face and beard. He is turning white. Normally, I'd suspect that he is shedding, but I've had him for 7 years now and have experienced numerous sheds, and none have been like this. Instead of turning grey/dull in appearance, he is turning white. A shiny white color along the top right side of his head and 1/2 of his beard.

He is still very active and eating, moves between his hammock and basking spot, and seems ok (doesn't act likes he's in pain when I touch the affected spot).

This happened almost overnight, by the way. Prior to noticing it today, I had him out less than 2 days ago and I would've noticed it then.

I've attached some images below of what it looks like. Normally in place of that white color he is the surrounding grey and orange that the rest of his head has.

Thanks for the help in advance!

101048-3458045391.jpg
101048-1900597718.jpg
101048-6313218237.jpg
101048-7717242450.jpg
101048-3299263185.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear he is doing well. That definitely looks like a shed to me. I don't see signs of a problem - just a thick shed layer that should start to peel soon.

HammerDragon7

Original Poster
Hey Everyone,

So I’m still not sure what’s going on with him but over these last few days he hasn’t shed (if that’s what it really is) since I made the initial post.

I’m less freaked out now because he is behaving normally (eating, pooping, giving attitude) but the color is still there on his head and he hasn’t shed it off yet.

I hope you guys are right because he looks kinda ugly with it like that, I’ll keep everyone updated and thanks again for the replies!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sheds can linger for quite a while, no worry at all with a large sub adult or adult dragon. I've owned a lot of them, never had one problem and have seen every type of shed you can think of. Here's one I usually post to show how dramatic they can look.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29897/full

Your dragon is fine. :)

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
It’s a very thick & hard shed, mine is going through the exact same shed. For the past few days I have been bathing him, it’s coming off a little. Now I wet the shed down with paper towels as he sits & basks. His whole beard is shedding now too. I drop water on his beard multiple times each day. This is a very tough shed, it’s on his front legs from the elbow to the wrists, the shed on the toes has already come off.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The O.P stated that this popped up over night, so it's not a long time built up shed. Even then you really need no intervention, people just think they do because it doesn't come off as quickly as they'd like. You really don't want to get their face + ear area wet constantly though, it's pretty irritating for them.

Sheds taking a long time are not dangerous, this is quite normal at times. :)

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Mystic is very slowly shedding, just a spot on his head, but the beard is definitely irritating him.
83443-9241443132.jpg

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Mine sheds like this too. I give him a daily misting or soak + bush him gently with a soft bristled toothbrush, more to help with irritation than to remove the shed, though some occasionally does come off in the process. We call it lizard loofah-ing :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom