Tail rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm concerned about Fred's tail. About a quarter inch of the tip is blackish. Noticed discoloration after his shed just about a week ago. He gets a warm bath every day. Yesterday I tried to brush off any possible stuck shed, but the discoloration remains. Is this tail rot? Should I just go to the vet to get it checked any way?
101696-430852790.jpg

Additional info:
Length: 7 3/4 inch
Temps: 105-110, 90ish, 75-80.
Feeding: Dubia roaches. Generally eats 16 - 24 / day.
Veggies offered, not really eaten.
Reptisun 10.0 tube uvb.

Anything else ask :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that does look like it has potential to be tail rot. If you have a good reptile vet they can easily snip that off. If you're sure it's dead you can do it at home since it's such a small piece. They recover easily + quickly from it if it's kept clean + soaked with betadine diluted with water at 1 part to 10 parts water + most dragons eat the same day, not a big surgery at all.

RedFred1426

Original Poster
I have made a vet appt but it isn't till the 24th. It's a busy place I guess. I don't feel comfortable snipping it off myself. I plan to keep a good eye on it but do you have any suggestions of what to do in the mean time?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can still dab it with the betadine mix twice a day, other than that just keep an eye on it and be sure there are no loose insects in the tank. It should be fine , might need that piece to be cut off but beardies do very well and are usually not affected by the minimal surgery.

RedFred1426

Original Poster
Update:
I'm doing betadine soaks and it appears as if the discoloration isn't growing. It's not improving either, which I didn't think it would. Anyways Fred isn't really eating well. The last couple days he has eaten about half has much as normal. It's weird because sometimes he'll eat one or two roaches and then other times he'll eat a normal amount like ten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom