REALLY Stubborn Shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aicara

Haku hadn't shed in quite a while, probably a couple months. About maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago he finally started shedding! He is getting older now so I'm guessing that his shedding is just slowing down a bit. (He's around 7/8 months)

He used to shed with minimal trouble. Straight from head to toe within a week or so. This time he's been shedding in bits (one front foot, then the toes of his back feet, then half his head, his jaw and a bit under his chin) and it's taking forever for the skin to loosen and peel back. His back has a dark patch on it that looks like it's been wanting to shed for over a week now, same with half his head and his back legs. He's also got some dull skin on his belly that doesn't quite want to loosen up either.

The most concerning thing about this is that it's seeming to really have an impact on his general mood. He's eating on and off, hiding in the corner of his tank and just seeming a bit down in the dumps. He's still fairly active when he's out and about though. Pooping is still regular mostly, sometimes he might not poop for one day but that's it. Looks normal as well.

In turn, I'm worried because this was how he behaved when he was sick earlier this year and it's frustrating to not know whether he might be a bit ill again or if its the shedding. He's been known the get a big agitated during shedding but not like this.

I bathe him frequently, 2 - 3 times a week as he doesn't drink water from a bowl. I mist him on the off days twice, sometimes 3 times. Since I've discovered how stubborn this shed is I've been bathing him every second day. I've tried aloe, gentle scrubbing with a soft toothbrush and paw paw cream. The paw paw cream was what I had the most success with but now it's not seeming to work as well. I've also been taking him outside to get some natural sunlight when it's warm out. He usually spends 30 or so minutes out there running around. I also just changed his UVB to a new one the other day as his current one was 6 months old.

His diet consist of Wood Roaches (once a day) and some veggies. He's still not a huge fan of them but I get him to eat them when I can, which is mostly everyday. I take him downstairs with me and hand feed him some green beans, occasional carrot and fruit for a treat. His roaches are dusted in calcium 5 days a week, vitamins the other 2. When he's himself he will eagerly eat 10 and still want more, 10 is his limit as instructed by the vet (he's a bit pudgy, but don't tell him that!). Right now he's eating nothing at all or only a few roaches and is not eager to chase after them at all.

Here is a picture of him pancaked on the floor, gives the best view of the spot on his back. Since that photo he has shed more off his head: https://sta.sh/0sk4udw5j48

Just wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions as to how to help the process or if there's anything I should be concerned about? Thanks!

Tank Set Up:

Size: 60 Gallon (Wooden with glass front)

Substrate: Loose recycled paper pellets (doesn't eat them on accident, haven't had any issues but I'm looking to switch over to tiles or carpet as the roaches like to burrow and it's a pain to get them out!)

UVB: Reptisun 10.0 (7:00am until 8:30/9:00pm)

Basking Light (Day): 100w Flood Light

Basking Light (Night): Exo Terra 150w Infrared Ceramic (on very low heat)

Temps:
Cool side: 84
Basking side: 104

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
Aicara":3d05del9 said:
Haku hadn't shed in quite a while, probably a couple months. About maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago he finally started shedding! He is getting older now so I'm guessing that his shedding is just slowing down a bit. (He's around 7/8 months)

He used to shed with minimal trouble. Straight from head to toe within a week or so. This time he's been shedding in bits (one front foot, then the toes of his back feet, then half his head, his jaw and a bit under his chin) and it's taking forever for the skin to loosen and peel back. His back has a dark patch on it that looks like it's been wanting to shed for over a week now, same with half his head and his back legs. He's also got some dull skin on his belly that doesn't quite want to loosen up either.

The most concerning thing about this is that it's seeming to really have an impact on his general mood. He's eating on and off, hiding in the corner of his tank and just seeming a bit down in the dumps. He's still fairly active when he's out and about though. Pooping is still regular mostly, sometimes he might not poop for one day but that's it. Looks normal as well.

>>yeah they do this when they're shedding. It's normal.

In turn, I'm worried because this was how he behaved when he was sick earlier this year and it's frustrating to not know whether he might be a bit ill again or if its the shedding. He's been known the get a big agitated during shedding but not like this.

>>possibly just the shedding. If it continues after shedding, contact a vet

I bathe him frequently, 2 - 3 times a week as he doesn't drink water from a bowl. I mist him on the off days twice, sometimes 3 times. Since I've discovered how stubborn this shed is I've been bathing him every second day. I've tried aloe, gentle scrubbing with a soft toothbrush and paw paw cream. The paw paw cream was what I had the most success with but now it's not seeming to work as well. I've also been taking him outside to get some natural sunlight when it's warm out. He usually spends 30 or so minutes out there running around. I also just changed his UVB to a new one the other day as his current one was 6 months old.

>>Try using aloe Vera and Shea butter or coco since it tends to help. You could also use a toothbrush that's made for babies to gently scrub on the shedding skin (do not scrub off)

His diet consist of Wood Roaches (once a day) and some veggies.

>>once a day? If he's 7-8months he should be having woodies 5 times a week unless he's skinny

He's still not a huge fan of them but I get him to eat them when I can, which is mostly everyday. I take him downstairs with me and hand feed him some green beans, occasional carrot and fruit for a treat. His roaches are dusted in calcium 5 days a week, vitamins the other 2. When he's himself he will eagerly eat 10 and still want more, 10 is his limit as instructed by the vet (he's a bit pudgy, but don't tell him that!). Right now he's eating nothing at all or only a few roaches and is not eager to chase after them at all.

Here is a picture of him pancaked on the floor, gives the best view of the spot on his back. Since that photo he has shed more off his head: https://sta.sh/0sk4udw5j48

>>just looking like he's ABOUT to shed. Keep giving him baths and putting paw paw cream on the shedding area

Just wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions as to how to help the process or if there's anything I should be concerned about? Thanks!

Tank Set Up:

Substrate: Loose recycled paper pellets (doesn't eat them on accident, haven't had any issues but I'm looking to switch over to tiles or carpet as the roaches like to burrow and it's a pain to get them out!)

Temps:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Xanelic":2r1fwu4z said:
Aicara":2r1fwu4z said:

>>yeah they do this when they're shedding. It's normal.

>>possibly just the shedding. If it continues after shedding, contact a vet

>>Try using aloe Vera and Shea butter or coco since it tends to help. You could also use a toothbrush that's made for babies to gently scrub on the shedding skin (do not scrub off)

His diet consist of Wood Roaches (once a day) and some veggies.

>>once a day? If he's 7-8months he should be having woodies 5 times a week unless he's skinny

He's still not a huge fan of them but I get him to eat them when I can, which is mostly everyday. I take him downstairs with me and hand feed him some green beans, occasional carrot and fruit for a treat. His roaches are dusted in calcium 5 days a week, vitamins the other 2. When he's himself he will eagerly eat 10 and still want more, 10 is his limit as instructed by the vet (he's a bit pudgy, but don't tell him that!). Right now he's eating nothing at all or only a few roaches and is not eager to chase after them at all.

<<< looks like getting ready to shed on the head, back of neck, shoulders, and back legs , in maybe 2 - 4 weeks .
I don't think you need to do anything much to help with this, other than give her some big tree twigs with sharp pits where smaller twigs have broken off to crawl over and under when it gets close and itchy and when she's In shed.

>>just looking like he's ABOUT to shed. Keep giving him baths and putting paw paw cream on the shedding area

Tank Set Up:

Temps:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom