We are newbies to bearded dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRloveClarice

We got our lovely lady Clarice about 5 day ago and it has been a whirl wind of emotions for me haha I've been on this site several times a day looking for answers to all my questions and it has been very helpful.

They guy we got her from says that he got her back in April as a youngin so we assume she's not quite a year old yet. Her basking temp is 100-110 and her humidity levels seem perfect as well in her 40gal tank. I am concerned that we aren't feeding her enough I will feed her about 5 superworms and 5 crickets in the morning dusted with calcium with d3 or multivitamin and my boyfriend does about the same in the afternoon, but I will always find some crickets roaming around in her terrarium in the evenings I always try my hardest to catch them. It's pretty tricky to get her to eat her greens and veggies though. So far she's pooped about 2 times and I've seen her drinking water.

We have had off and on problems with glass surfing and I just cant seem to get her out of her tank in a way that is confortable for her, but my boyfriend is basically a pro. She seems relatively healthy besides this dry cracked spot on the bottom of her leg, I have no idea what to do about it or what may be the cause of it.
101624-20042593.jpg
101624-5982440221.jpg
101624-5066732727.jpg

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Feed her as much as she will eat and make sure to remove uneaten insects. Since you have a loose substrate (flooring) I recommend tong feeding to avoid ingestion. Don’t worry about veggies she sounds pretty young.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I recommend getting rid of the loose substrate all together - vinyl shelf liner has been recommend along w/ tile - I have tile in Hiccups tank and love it-- clean it w / vinegar and water - I dont know how old she is but super worms can plug them up if given too many- I also recommend dubia roaches - you can find them in your privately owned pet stores usually or order them on line -- they tend to give less parasites / pin worms-- plus they are alot easier to keep than crickets and they dont smell!! Continue to offer her greens as they get older they will eat more of them - Hiccup is 8 months old and eats them once in awhile - if you dont have a reptile vet I would suggest you find one and just have them on hand in case you ever need to call them for something-- there are alot of good articles on this website - on the far right there is all kinds of information you can read for any questions that you still might have and there are some good moderators on here as well - health questions you can always PM Tracie (Drache613) she can answer alot of those health questions -- diet - super and meal worms are more of a treat than staple food - as well as butter worms and horn worms-- nutrigrubs / black fly larvea are a staple feeder-- you dont want to feed the treat worms too much as they can plug them up-- you can always google dubia roaches on line to find out where to get them-- right now I am getting mine from dubiaroaches.com they are fast - I have ordered from one other place out of CA called roachkings.com I wont order from them as they sent their roaches in 2 boxes and the second box contain the roaches running loose- found that out the hard way!! Anyway hope this info helps

Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, she looks to be of good proportions + healthy weight. :) The amount you are feeding her is O.K, as she gets to full size you can lessen the amount of superworms or she will become overweight. Offer greens several times a week, very important in their diet actually.

The leg appears to have some type of burn or possibly fungal growth. Best to have that checked out and have a skin scrape done by an experienced reptile vet.

Eldemarco

Glass surfing is normal in a new environment. I just moved my baby to a larger tank with a better setup, and she glass surfs any time she sees a reflection (only been in new home 1 day).

For the feeding, I use an escape proof dish, and just put a few dubia roaches (mealworms will work too) in the dish. I let her eat as much as she wants, and take the bowl out about 15 minutes later.

On the topic of substrate. If you don't have much knowledge, or haven't done a lot of research on beardies, don't use a loose substrate. 50/50 sand/soil is ok, but it requires good husbandry. As long as proper temps, UV, vitamin absorbtion, hydration, and low stress levels are checked on the list, small amounts of substrate will pass harmlessly through the digestive tract. That said, your best bet for now is reptile carpet, slate tile, or polystyrene foam coated in grout. I would go with tile or grout as the surface will help file down the claws.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can also use non adhesive shelf liner bought from Home Depot Lowes-- it is cheap and easy to clean - vinegar/ water in a spray bottle 50/50-- as far as the spot on her leg Tracie or AHBD would need to look at it ---
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This thread is about 8 months old but O.P, how is your dragon's leg ? It looked potentially serious but I'm hoping it wasn't yellow fungus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom