slight calcium deficiency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my dragon Spikey has not been eating a lot lately (possibly an early brumation) so she has not been getting her normal amount of calcium. Some of the scales on her belly have been shedding but only one scale at a time and it seems abnormal. could this be caused by a calcium deficiency? If this is true, is there a supplement I can give her? I thought about trying to give her some calcium dusted mealworms as a treat because she rarely turns down mealworms. Being a 2-year-old dragon, I offer her dubias 3 times a week but she usually only twice. is this normal?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She might be slowing down for brumation. The single scale sheds are common with older dragons. That happens with my guy pretty regularly. She doesn't need bugs all that often as an adult. Once or twice per week is fine, especially if she's eating her salads. If she's going into brumation she is likely to not want food much at all for a while because her metabolism will be slowed. This also means that her weight will remain relatively stable. Keep track of that though. More generally, if you are concerned about her calcium intake I would focus on offering calcium rich greens such as collards or turnip greens as part of her salads.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, a lot of them have slown down for brumation & adults will most definitely not eat much
if anything at all for long periods of time.
Our adults go down & barely do anything for quite awhile.
Some extra dustings wouldn't hurt. Is your UVB light up to date also?

Tracie

SpikeTheLizard

Original Poster
Spikey hates vegetables. I’ve tried them all and all in different ways but she doesn’t like them. What else should I do? My uv bulb was replaced last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heavenbeardies
Top Bottom