Beardie won't eat veggies after pinworm treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,I joined this community because everyone seems really nice and has good advice.

I got my female bearded dragon (4yrs old) about 6 or 7 months ago. She was doing fine when she came with me, although there has been rough changes in her diet and living conditions (for the better). I got her from a particular who had to get rid of her.

About a month or so ago, I noticed she had a decrease in her food intake. First, her veggies, then her insects, and then she had blood in her stools. Turns out she had pinworms and has been treated for that. She started eating her insects again since, but won't touch any green or fruits I don't put directly in her mouth, and even then sometimes she'll spit it out.

Add to that the fact that my vet says she's dehydrated (because she has thick saliva atm) and when I put her in her daily baths to get her hydrated, she swallows (mouth closed) but refuses to drink anything. I trust my doctor, who gave me antibiotics to inject her with in case it is indeed something respiratory like I suspect, but I wondered if someone had any idea or has had something similar, or even tricks to get her to eat her veggies again. At this point, I'd take anything.

Thank you a lot, this means the world to me.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Here’s a good list for nutrition:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I’m sorry to hear she’s not feeling well. Mine won’t eat his greens unless I wiggle them.
I use Repashy grub pie sometimes.
You can also just drop water on her mouth with an eye dropper. Mine hates the bath, he gets to stressed and easier to get an RI.
You will get more responses for the injections from other members.

DuchesseTheBeardie

Original Poster
Thank you for the sugestion. I shall try to find her something else she might enjoy.

I tried dropping it on the tip of her mouth several time already, but more often than not I have to use a seringue to inject some in her mouth, thus why I try to get her to drink in the bath.

I'm sorry to hear she is not doing that well, and I hope she gets better soon. If you want to give her water, use one of those plastic frosting spatulas (The sqaure ones, not the slim ones) and gently try to open her mouth. If you have a dropper, use that to help put a little bit of water in her mouth.

Also, if you want her to eat some greens, try finding her most comfortable eating position (wether it is in a big pile, or wiggling her food to make it look living). I wish good luck to you, in hopes she will get better soon.

DuchesseTheBeardie

Original Poster
ScaryDemonDragon":2qzks3bu said:
I'm sorry to hear she is not doing that well, and I hope she gets better soon. If you want to give her water, use one of those plastic frosting spatulas (The sqaure ones, not the slim ones) and gently try to open her mouth. If you have a dropper, use that to help put a little bit of water in her mouth.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I usually have little problem putting things in her mouth, such as seringue, eye dropper or food. She's been really good on that aspect. Today I gave her some hornworm which she took without questions but refused to eat her crickets unless i placed them in her mouth. I gave her some water as well through the seringue, however her saliva is still as thick as mucus, so I hope at least her injections will help on the long run.

ScaryDemonDragon":muyshkco said:
*Eye droppers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom