Tail is changing colors often

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a baby beardie 3 weeks ago and he/she has already gone through a complete shed. But I keep noticing the tail going from black to gray to sorta normal orangish color then back again. All within just an hour! It’s weird, because the body is normal orangish color, so Pickle is not cold. (Hot side is between 105-110, cool side is around 85) Perhaps the tail is just getting cold? Or perhaps it has something to do with mood changes?
When I first got Pickle, I noticed it a little dark, but then again his whole body was dark because they weren’t keeping him at the proper temps and had wrong UVB and heat bulbs! (I have a reptisun 10.0 26w HO 36 inch tube bulb) There’s been no trauma to the tail since I got him. When the shed occurred I made sure to give baths daily, so I don’t think it’s retained shed. Any advice on what this is? I keeping worrying it’s tail rot, but he still has feeling all the way through because he wiggles when I touch all down the tail. Also, I’m not sure if tail rot would change colors, I think it’s a constant black.
Here’s some pics to show you, I took them all within 30 min of each other.

When it was black:
101120-9331068429.jpg

Turned gray:
101120-5076555992.jpg

Almost back to normal:
101120-3659754549.jpg

Looks okay here:
101120-6118691880.jpg

If anyone has any ideas that they’d like to share, that’d be great! Of course, I might be worrying too much being a new beardie mom, but I can’t help it I love him/her sooo much already! ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I raised lots of these guys and that tail is perfectly fine. And it's perfectly fine to be a worried beardie mom, too. :)

PickleTheBeardie

Original Poster
Okay, thanks!! ? I just want to make sure to catch anything wrong early so it won’t harm my baby Pickle. Thank you for the fast reply!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree. The darkening toward the end is normal and it some of the photos the skin looks duller which may mean a shed is about to start there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom