basking during brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wycca

I seem to only post on this site when I need to make sure something isn't wrong with Mordremoth. I really need to work on that.

On to the topic at hand though. I'm pretty sure old Mordy has gone into brumation since he hasn't eaten more than a single hornworm in a couple week and doesn't seem to have lost any weight. He continues to take water from a syringe every so often, and when I got him out for bath time he made it very clear that he didn't want to be messed with and puffed out his beard at me.

The question is that despite having three hides in his enclosure to choose from he still prefers to spend all his time on his basking platform? Just making sure that continuing to bask is a normal behavior for brumation and I'm not mistaking it for something else.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
None of my pet skinks or dragons in over 10 years have ever brumated or shown any desire to do so.

I know breeders who encourage their pets to brumate over winter , even they keep the basking and UV lights on incase their lizards wake up and feel the need to bask midsleep.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is he acting sleepy or is he awake? it's good that his weight is stable but they tend to act lethargic and/or sleep for long periods of time during brumation. They kind of act like they are on sleeping pills and are fairly groggy from what I've seen. If he is alert but acting irritable it could be related to a shed or something like that perhaps.

Wycca

Original Poster
Sorry for the late reply. I came down with something and forgot about this post.

He's alert at times but not for very long. The rest of the time he's asleep or laying down on top of his platform and only really moves from the end that's directly under the lights to the side that's a bit farther away from the lights. He doesn't seem as irritable right now. I might have just caught him at a bad time that day.

He drank some more water today and actually moved down to the area underneath his platform so maybe he's starting to decide to find somewhere a bit cooler to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom