Pet shop problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys am in a pickle right now. My local pet shop sells bearded dragons and all look healthy apart from one. It's been in there About 4 weeks maybe more but the problem is that the pet shop owner said it isn't eating part from 1-2 crickets and locusts a day. Am in my local pet shop nearly every day and not once have I seen it shed or or noticed a little growth to it. It looks like it has no energy what so ever and on the verge of giving up. But the pet shop owner still has up for sale at £80 so do I chance it and try save it or do I just leave it.? Only problem I have right now is my spare vivarium is only about 2ft but I do have the proper set up for a bearded dragon in side it but I can get a 4ft or bigger when it grows or if it grows so any suggestions wound be great thanks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's so nice that you care enough about the lethargic baby, I know it must be bothering you a lot to post about it here. First of all remember that it may or may not get back to good health and you'd have a little patient on your hands, maybe with good care it would have a chance. What you might do is point out to the owner [ maybe while customers are in earshot ] that the baby is suffering and will be a stunted + unhealthy dragon if this continues, and possibly even die. Therefore you would be willing to take it for free to rescue it + give it the care it needs, which starts with getting it in to a tank alone. At most, offer a low price if the owner says no go on getting it for free.

Hopefully things will work out, post back an update whatever you decide.

ThatsPleny

Original Poster
It's soo tiny it still looks like a hatchling! When I first got my beardie she was only 4 weeks old and weighing 6g now she's 10 weeks and weighing 33.2g. and started nibbling are her greens a few days ago which I think is good for a beardie eating greens at her age. Am gonna go down when I can and ask to get it for free or reduce the price as I can't stand pet shops not caring enough for animals. I have told the pet shop the possibilities of its illnesses I have not yet seen it move it's head isn't always laying on the floor it keeps it up but seems to always be laying down and the tank it's in is a easy 1 ft long when I first seen it there was 2 in the same tank and 1 was sold then it was just that little guy left. Few days later I go down and there was another beardie next to and was easy twice it's size and was in there with it for a good week and now the bigger got sold and it was by its self for a few days but yesterday I was down and noticed it has been moved to another vivarium same size and was right next to the one it was in but set up completely different so am just concerned of how stressed the little guy is. So what am gonna do is set my vivarium up and place a my new Arcadia 12% in there and a good basking buld for the little guy and go down on Monday and try make a deal from the owner. Ohhhhh and I noticed they mist in side the tanks and I told them the dangers of it but just ignored my advice and continue to do it. Here's a couple pics of my little guy he's 10 weeks old and weighing 33.2g

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Your beardie's so cute!

But to the topic at hand, I agree with the above posts saying to talk to the store owner. As someone who works in a pet store, shop owners generally don't want sick animals in the store because it costs them more money to help them (and if theyre ignorant to the animal's needs then it looks bad on the reputation of the store).

Since you have approached the owner saying that the beardie IS sick, I think he will most likely give you a lower price or give you the beardie for free. The store I work at does that as long as the customer fully acknowledges that they are adopting a sick animal who will require specific care. And given that you obviously know this, I dont see why there would be an issue.

All store owners are different, but I just thought I'd add my two cents. Best of luck! Let us know what happens!

Hi,

First I have to say that you have a good heart I applaud your attitude. And I feel so sad for that poor neglected baby.

But that pet store (like most) do not care about his animals. That baby needs vet care and hand feeding so WHY is he for sale right now when obviously sick? The store is just letting him dying slowly cause they are too greedy to spend on him, hoping someone will get s***ered buying him. He is an animal abuser and a scammer so I sure would NOT encourage that behaviour by buying him even 1/2 price. You gona have to take him to the vet immediatly and this might get VERY expensive. Unless the store care enough to give him too you and you can afford high vet bills, I would walk away from that poor little baby... Personally I would walk away from the whole store and report him.

I hope i didn't sound to harsh. So you know, I will support your choice without judgement either way because I know you want to do good. #MuchRespect

ThatsPleny

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys and sorry for a late reply as been busy with looking after the little dude from the pet store. Yes I got him the owner agreed £20 for him and first thing I done was took him to vets and dam he's riddled with parasites and has a little bit of mbd . He's on a course of antibiotics for now so am keeping a good eye on him. Sometimes I need to force feed him and keep him hydrated through a syringe. Yesterday he shedded full body and wow what difference he went from fill blackish grey to a orange .

Congrat. That little guy is lucky to have been "rescued" by you. I am glad to hear that you took him to the vet right away, good stuff. Hopefully with your good care he'll be just fine now. He is a cuty.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Kudos to you for rescuing him! :D he is an adorable beardie. :) I Hope he does well for you. :D

ThatsPleny

Original Poster
AHBD":3ep3petz said:
How's he doing ?
He's doing great he is now eating by him self and nibbling at his greens. When I bring out my other dragon he runs up to the glass like he's got all jealous ? btw is OK too bring both out at the same time ? Like if I was too keep them from a distance too each other?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ThatsPleny":8pms5snm said:
AHBD":8pms5snm said:
How's he doing ?
He's doing great he is now eating by him self and nibbling at his greens. When I bring out my other dragon he runs up to the glass like he's got all jealous ? btw is OK too bring both out at the same time ? Like if I was too keep them from a distance too each other?

best not to …. ok if they occasionally see each when one is out of it's tank , but they can move like greased lightning when they decide to.... so not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom