Just got my dragon today, have some concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hlutes

Hello, we just. bought our dragon today froman acquaintance. He is sleeping now, but when he fell asleep his beard turnwd jet black. Should i be worried? Previous owner said he is around 2 years old. Here is a picture of him sleeping right now under his lamp.
Thank you so much for any respoces.
Holly

101162-3320712219.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Holly,

Sorry your new adoptee isn't doing well. It looks like his jaw might be a little off probably
from calcium issues or lack of UVB?
Is that a sand mat he is on now? What are the temperatures in his tank & the type/brand of
UVB you are using?
I would definitely try to get some water dropped onto his little snout, using a plastic dropper or
syringe. He should lick the water off of his snout. He might be dehydrated. Has he eaten any
thing yet?
Is his beard black all day?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I'm so sorry your new beardie isn't feeling well, Could you give us as much background care info that his previous owners did for him? Does he have a UVB light at all? or is he fed any calcium? Because I'm Suspecting MBD due to how his jaw looks. and The black beard is concerning, He could be in pain or have something going on inside him.

I Agree with Tracie, He appears dehydrated. and I'd first of all get rid of the sand (viewtopic.php?f=34&t=243890&hilit=sand#p1857889). He also appears malnourished. What type of food was he fed? Could You also post a few more photos of him, and his tank, and his lights?

I Hope He'll get better soon! :) and Please keep us updated.

-HippieLizards.

Hlutes

Original Poster
I went out last night and got him some kale, and collard greens also some apples, plums, and kiwi. The previous owner fed him shaved carrots, and worms. She didnt say anything about calcium. He ate some kale this morning and drank some water, seems like he was drinking for awile. I will go to the pet store today or tomorrow and geg him some calcium suppliment. Previous owner said that what he is on is not actually sand. What is MBD? Isk what the lamp is it is made by ZOO MED. it has a black circular coil in it for heat it looks like and a white vertical coil for light it looks like. Any respoces are welcome and thank you for the responces already.

Hlutes

Original Poster
Sorry forgot to put that after he drank, his beard has not been black since. Also temp in tank is 90 and humidity is at 60

Hlutes

Original Poster
How do i post more pictures? When i press the XIMG it just shows me the pictures i have alreadh uploaded.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hlutes":ytfkorxw said:
I went out last night and got him some kale, and collard greens also some apples, plums, and kiwi Those all sound like good foods for him, I'd also add some collard, mustard, and dandelion greens maybe. The previous owner fed him shaved carrots, and worms. She didn't say anything about calcium Well that isn't all too good :? .

He ate some kale this morning and drank some water, seems like he was drinking for a while That is good, at least he is eager to eat and drink :D.

I will go to the pet store today or tomorrow and get him some calcium supplement Good, I Recommend Rep-cal and Herptivite (Rep-cal is the vitamins and Herptivite is the multivitamin).

Previous owner said that what he is on is not actually sand Well whatever it is, it's still a loose substrate and needs to be removed to prevent any more health problems. Maybe Post a photo of the substrate with a closer look at it?

What is MBD? Metabolic Bone Disease, a horrible disease that affects the beardies bone density and is typically caused by improper care or neglect. Is what the lamp is it is made by ZOO MED. it has a black circular coil in it for heat it looks like and a white vertical coil for light it looks like You should probably post a picture of that.

Any responses are welcome and thank you for the responses already You're Welcome. :) We're all happy to help :).
Sorry forgot to put that after he drank, his beard has not been black since. Also temp in tank is 90 and humidity is at 60
I'd Maybe do the humidity down to about 50% probably and up the basking spot temp to around 100F. and That's good that his beard isn't black so far.
How do i post more pictures? When i press the XIMG it just shows me the pictures i have already uploaded.
Have you uploaded more photos of him, his tank, and his lights already? Once you already have uploaded more photos then post them with the XIMG button.

Hlutes

Original Poster
Update.... he ate some kiwi today also was very eager to eat some worms he at 4 or 5 if those. I have been giving him water by syringe he takes the wayer just fine. We are going in the morning to get a new heat lamp also im going to get him some calcium supliment. Tomorrow we will put some collard greens in with him and some mashed plim. I will keep all of you updated. Thank you so much for all of your responces.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Good! I'm glad that he is eager to eat! :D and Quick question, What exactly is mashed plim? I've never heard of it. :| but I'd love to see more updates. :)

Ziggy17

HippieLizards":xws87s2w said:
Good! I'm glad that he is eager to eat! :D and Quick question, What exactly is mashed plim? I've never heard of it. :| but I'd love to see more updates. :)

I think she may have meant mashed plums :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, good thing the beardie ended up in your hands ! It was severely dehydrated for one thing, so you've been given good advice and it's great that he's drinking as well as eating some. :) One thing to be careful of now please DON'T feed him a lot of insects right away. Beardies in his condition often scarf down bugs like superworms and then throw them up. Try to get some crickets and/or dubia roaches as well, medium dubias only [ not large ] but large crickets are fine. Feed him only 4-5 at a time of any insect until he is doing well and pooing. Just go slow so he does not vomit.

Hopefully he will do well for you !

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Hello,

How was your beardie been doing today? :D

Well, no matter what happens, he is happy that you have him, and most of the previous beardie owners didn't care for them :angry5: but by the looks of it he might have MBD, and you should get it checked out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom