Does he look healthy? Concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steble

Unfortunately, my last post didn't get that much replies as I hoped concerning my time away from my beardie for 2 months. But fortunately, he's alive and healthy and my father had done a good job!

However I have noticed some things that are concerning and would like to ask about them. My bearded dragon, now a 10 month old male, 19 inches, won't ever close his mouth and has a slight kink in his tail. I'm afraid that these are the signs of MBD but this is unlikely because of his setup. Again, I was not with him for 2 months and some things may have gone unnoticed.

Here are a lot of images.
93421-2248366759.jpg
93421-7836681953.jpg
93421-650527301.jpg
93421-3680892508.jpg
93421-3251051330.jpg
93421-3911084593.jpg
93421-6874878676.jpg

His setup:
Setup:
50 Gallon Tank
Heat lamp: bright white 70 watt flood light (heats up surface 100-110 degrees Fahrenheit)
UVB: Reptisun 10.0 T5 florescent tube (replaced 2 months ago)
Both lights 10 inches away from basking spot, and are left on from 7 am through 9 pm.
Cool side 80-85 degrees and hot side 85-90
Substrate: non-adhesive shelf liner
Wooden box with blanket for hide, ramp and log for climbing, a bowl for roaches, and 3 bricks for basking.
Diet: Mustard greens and Collard greens in the morning at 7 am, two meals of dusted roaches in calcium with Vit.D3 or vitamin powder later at 3 pm and 6 pm.
Schedule while I was GONE: Salad AND roaches in the morning at 8 am.

In my last post I was concerned about how much time he spends in his hide and how he walks and smears his poop. He still does spend time in his hide and I have to get him out myself, which may be a cause of why he isn't getting enough UVB. But what's strange is how he is totally active at 5 pm to 9 pm where he is running all around his cage. He's getting better at keeping his poops clean though.

His poops are healthy and hunts his roaches well. I need to know how I can stop getting him to hide all day. Thank you.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there. overall he looks pretty good. Nice size + body structure, good growth rate for sure. :) The mouth + tail thing may be slight calcium deficiency or just genetics. Being a trans., they have been more inbred than other dragons but that doesn't mean that he is in bad health or suffering in any way. Some beardies just go through phases where they become less active. Sometimes it's even boredom. You might want to have a fecal test done by an experienced reptile vet to rule out the possibility of parasites. Be sure that he's hydrated, too.

If you don't already do so, let him roam in the house but ONLY in safe places and if you are sure there are no foreign objects on the floor. Things like rubber bands, coins, paper clips, etc. are all appealking to these silly guys and will quickly be swallowed.

But he looks to be in good shape all in all. :)

Steble

Original Poster
Thanks AHBD, and everyday for feeding I let him hunt the roaches on the floor in a tray and let him roam for a bit. It can be possible that he's inbred since he's got 3 morphs in one and was expensive lol. I believe he is hydrated by pinching his skin and how there is extra water in his poop.

But if it's calcium deficiency, is there a way that I should be supplying him more calcium? I dust his roaches with calcium both meals most of the week and vitamin powder for 2 days. His UVB is good and kept on for long... and replaced 2 months ago. I'm just confused on how this can be.

Maybe it's too much calcium, doesn't that also give MBD? Should I switch to calcium without D3?

Steble

Original Poster
He's still hiding after I took out his blanket from the hide. And he's hiding under the ramp. I believe it's not healthy for him.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I never got a notification for your last 2 posts. It's possible that he wants to brumate. If you're worried about his health you might just let him do his thing for a couple of weeks and then take it out.

Steble

Original Poster
oh ok, but yea you might be right about the brumating thing. What's weird is that he's very active at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom