In between wanting to brumate or not, lethargic then not,etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hello!

So this last two or three days he has been actually lethergic. Not sick looking lethargic, since he still digs into his veggies, but a lot slower and not moving much in his tank.
Also, since I came from my trip (4 days ago) he has began a shed as you can see in the pics, but my question is, can he brumate while he is shedding? Or should I keep him up until he is done with his shedding and then let him brumate if he wants too?
He hasn't been digging into bugs since last time, I think it was three days ago, but still eats a little bit of veggies. Some collard greens or squash. He will still eat super worms, but only 2-3.
He has lost a little bit of weight now too.
But yeah last three days he has been lethargic, just very lazy, looking like he wants to sleep again. He slept for 3 days last week, me thinking he has gone into brumation, but came back from my trip to find him awake, and hungry, this was three days ago. So he ate dubias then but hasn't since.
It's like he wants to brumate, but he doesn't so he eats bugs one day, then wants to brumate and stops eating, then either sleeps for a few days or is lethargic.
I think its too soon for a vet visit, but maybe soon I should take him just to be safe? I mean he has been diggin into his veggies and once in a while bugs, and his stools look just fine, etc. When I take him out of his tank he wakes up a little bit and walks around my room for a little bit, like 5 min until he finds a corner and lays down.
I just don't know If I should stop feeding him and let him brumate if he wants? Like make him do his last poop, and no food for that day and let him brumate if he wants?

Forgot to mention he is 8 months old.

93594-9296933575.jpg
93594-7771220570.jpg
93594-5534464256.jpg
last 2 days he's been sleeping in the shade on the hot side, he usually sleeps on the cool side in his hide or something. And the last 3-4 days the only reason he has been up its because I pick him up to either bathe, or take out for some sun.
93594-1958591845.jpg
His eyes are still alert
all these pics where taken today.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd probably interact with him and bring him out of the tank to try and keep him more awake. Even if he's acting sleepy this might help if he's finishing a shed.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2wp7m5mt said:
I'd probably interact with him and bring him out of the tank to try and keep him more awake. Even if he's acting sleepy this might help if he's finishing a shed.

That's the thing though, It just began. It's not more than 4-5 days since he started, so I don't think he wont be finishing for another 2-3 weeks! I left on my trip the 3rd of august in the morning, and the day before I did not notice any shed. And that's when I thought he was brumating, he must of slept only one or two days. Until I came back the 5th of August and he was up and awake, basking, but with completely different color skin from shedding!
Took him outside of his tank for a bit in the evening, but he only walked a few feet before laying down. Then I put him on my lap for a while. And when I put him back he went into his hide.
Depending if he wants to brumate, what do you think, should I keep him up (even if it doesn't bother him) until his shed is done? Could be a few weeks..
He gobbles some squash or collard greens every now and then. He ate some dubias a few days ago coming back from my trip, but hasn't since. And will take a few super worms. So its not like he is completely not eating, hope not.
I worry about my beardie a lot :banghead: :lol:

update: could be a fast shed, his head is whiter than his body. So his body might take a bit longer.
Its 3 hours till lights out and he is fast asleep in his hide already

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd keep doing what you're doing. Just bring him out and interact with him during the day to try and keep him awake. It's OK if he's going back to sleep earlier than normal but I wouldn't let him sleep through the whole day unless he gets really really sleepy and won't interact with you.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":11cmd3bb said:
I'd keep doing what you're doing. Just bring him out and interact with him during the day to try and keep him awake. It's OK if he's going back to sleep earlier than normal but I wouldn't let him sleep through the whole day unless he gets really really sleepy and won't interact with you.

I think its coming to that, this morning he stayed in his hide, and wouldn't come out until I made him. He wouldnt interact with me if I let him stay in his hide. And what about his shed? Is it normal for beardies to brumate while shedding?
UPDATE: actually his shed on his head is coming out quicker than I thought. But his body still has a while longer
I think if tomorrow he still stays in his hide and tries to stay asleep im going to cover his hide and let him brumate, see if he goes into brumation. Unless otherwise about his shed i f I should keep him up until his shed is done, but he is not eating all that well, so keeping him up might make him lose more weight?
Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make 100%sure Im doing the right thing you know? :p

93594-405677422.jpg
This lizard is an enigma lol. I took him outside today, after picking him up from his hide trying to sleep, poops outside (good) and is alert in his basking spot. I put him in the middle of his tank and he decided to go for the basking spot (good). So I think you are right, and I'll follow your advise, just take it day by day. I do have BSLF (warming them up in the pic), see if he eats them. Sometimes he prefers them than dubias/supers.
His shed is coming quick, so maybe I will keep him up, making him eat at least something everyday, till his shed is done then let him sleep? What do you think. Is letting them sleep (brumate) while shedding bad?
Its just that he is starting to lose weight, and dont want him to lose too much weight, thats what im scared of x.x . Kind of want him to brumate and get it over with you know?

Thank you so much for all your patience and help always Coop.

UPDATE: one last thing, he just went CRAZY for super worms. He looked and ate like he didnt eat in months so I gave him 5 super worms, then he stopped. But he rejected dubias and BSLF. Super worms are kind of bad as staple though :/
So he is all over the place right now. Not eating, eating, eating but super picky, brumating, not brumating... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom