Undigested worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcstorz

My BD, donnie, is ~4.5 months old and has been doing great given the tail rot he had as a baby...but today I fed him as usual at 3:00 pm. He had 12 meal worms(his usual) along with having his food pellets and small pieces of green bell pepper in his bowl. But just a few hours ago I got up and saw he had pooped. In his poop was about 6 half chewed, undigested worms. There was a bit of normal stool and uric clump but it was VERY watery. Anyone know what might have happened?
His worms were dusted in calcium with d3 and sprayed with reptisuplimemt

Basking temp: 110
Hot side: 100
Cool side: 80
Zilla red night heat, zilla white day heat, zoo med 75w basking and uvb 5.0 bulb.
Zilla 20 gallon critter cage

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This can happen sometimes, if they don't fully chew up an insect. Has this ever happened
before now?
What are you measuring your temperatures with?
Mealworms are known to be harder to digest than other worm varieties. He might have just
eaten too many of them. For better sources, you could try some small silkworms, small horn
worms, or phoenix/calcium worms all of which are much easier to digest for him.

Tracie

Mushy

This is old but mealworms should not be a staple feeder for any lizard especially juveniles as they struggle digesting their exoskeleton and causes fatal impaction, they also carry a element that prevents calcium intake

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
please get rid of the Zilla red night heat -- if you need extra heat in the tank please get a CHE --- they are for heat that has no light and for a tank that needs to be 65 or higher at nite --- the colored bulbs disturb their sleep and can cause damage to their eyes --- they need lights off for 12 hrs and on for 12 hrs --- all you need is good bright white basking bulb that keeps your basking temps 105-110 for a baby and good UVB---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom