Little bit of blood in stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelsMom

New Beardie Mom trying not to worry here. We've had Pixel for about 3 weeks now. He is a 2 year old, and is great. We've got all of the appropriate lights, opting for the UVA/UFB basking and the UVB hood light. He gets outside every other day for additional UVB and to stretch his legs. He gets 8-10 large Dubia every 3 days and Fresh vegetable salad twice a day.
This morning I saw him poop for the first time (I was excited bc I had never seen a Beardie go-I know we are weird ppl). When he was done he tried one more time and I could see him straining (I could see a little 'pink' peaking out at his 'area' as he tried) and a little watery red blood came out. Not a lot. Just enough for me to notice.
I note that he is on this tiny shred that the Reptile store insisted I needed. I am switching that our to Reptile carpet today. Could it be that he is having a little problem because he's ingested too much of it? If so, can I do something to help him push it through?
I wanted to watch him and see before panicking and running him to the vet. But if it's an Emergency I can be an ambulance. :D
Should I be worried?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, he might be having some trouble. What type of substrate is/was he on? Loose types
of substrates are usually not a good idea because they lick their surroundings a lot. I am glad to
hear you are changing that out.
You can give him some canned pumpkin, mixed with sugar free applesauce & a drop or two of
olive or coconut oil a couple of times per day. Just use a plastic dropper or syringe to drop onto
the end of his nose & he should lick some of that off.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

PixelsMom

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,
Thank you so much for responding. He was on Aspen chips "Repti Chips". I should have known better since I did do my research before I got him. But you know, they insisted it was the BEST THING FOR BEARDED DRAGONS. Honesty, Pixels health, is much more important than the $7 sale they got :angry5: . I have now purchased 2 of the Zilla reptile carpets- one to use and one standby for when the other is being cleaned/drying. The chips were really tiny, but I am SURE he ingested it. It was in everything all the time. I feed him/change out his food twice a day but it was in the food bowl too.
The strange thing is hs poop was runny but he was still straining... after the poop was out. THAT is when the bit of blood came out. But, I guess irritated innards are irritated innards.
I will certainly get the pumpkin & oil.
Again-Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom