Rejecting staple dubias for 3 days now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
My 7 month old has been acting really strange this last 3 days. He has been VERY active, more than probably EVER, but is rejecting his dubia roaches! He ate one today, and thats it, nothing the last 3 days. I got my superworms and hornworms today, I can feed him that but i dont want them to be staple.
Any ideas why he might be rejecting his food? He is pooping well too, everyday, even when he as not eaten!
I gave him 2 superworms, then stopped. It's strange because he normally eats around 8 dubias, around 4 when hes less hungry, but never nothing. He went crazy for the first super, then the second took some time, he normally goes NUTS for supers, since i treat them as treats. He even rejected a HORNWORM! I got them a few days ago, so they are growing quick, but I was shocked to see him not as interested as I thought he would be for hornworms. He might be the first beardie I know of that does not like, or at least be interested in, hornworms.! But wax worms though, any time.

But he has been super active though, the last 3 days like never before in his life. Walking along the wall of my room extra curious. And in his tank a lot more alert than ever, after eating he gave the head-down-eyes-up look. He has been glass surfing the last 3 days, not really a problem I just take him out and he roams around my room for an hour before he is tired. But that has been the last 3 days, no food (little today), run around my room for a while, and go to bed extra early around 3 pm! Not really sleeping but he will be tuckered out and laying down on the cool side. Sometimes with his head pooping out of his hide to look around.
Also he is scratching his head a lot by rubbing it against the ground, as if he had shed going on, but there is no shedding at all.

Any ideas for the rejection of his dubia roaches and only 1 or 2 superworms, not even interested in hornworms, and the super active behavior during the day!

I realized I forgot to mentioned, when I got the hornworms 4 days ago, I ordered 12, they gave me like 26. So they came really tiny, as expected, and I fed him 2 of them. The size of a penny. I fed them to him 3 days ago, so maybe that place a factor? He could of gotten super full from those two tiny hornworms? But then how would he handle a normal sized one...
Bit of a bummer since I just got 200 dubias yesterday.

update: nvm on the hornworms, i dropped one in front of him and immediately devoured it.

And also last thing forgot to mention, I feed him squash and/or collard greens every 2 days, he still eats his collard greens surprisingly, he really likes it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like he's in a period of hyperactivity and food isn't a priority. This happens sometimes. My guy did it after he came out of brumation and through the spring but has since calmed back down and started eating normally again.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh, By the way, a while back we talked about his constant stress marks when he was younger. You were completely right, they are all gone! Practically almost all gone, now only whenever he is actually stressed.
93594-3798634727.jpg
93594-7535304818.jpg
turned out a really pretty orange/yellow tone !

Yeah, he has been SUPER active the last 4 days, glass surfing until I let him out, and he roams around my room for good 45 minutes. Running, roaming around everywhere! He never used to roam around my entire room, only small around my desk and tv (dont worry its beardie proof), and now he is everywhere!
But Hopefully he eats normally again soon.
Surprisingly, he's been extra loving collard greens and squash. It's odd, he is rejecting dubias, but not his veggies lol. So I fed him 2 super worms. Feel like he needs some protein, but I don't know how much is too many supers to give to a 7 month old. And he actually ate a horn worm yesterday, so I'm tempted to give him another horn worm, but is it ok to feed every day?

update: I tried giving him a horn worm after a while in his tank but he was not interested! He is generally not interested in horn worms, im very surprised! I''v given him 4 supers now today. I feel like it's too many, but at the same time I feel like he is hungry but just rejecting dubias.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
he is still not rejecting dubias today, and is less active than before. He did eat a horn worm thought after trying dubias

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":11hq7a42 said:
It sounds like he's in a period of hyperactivity and food isn't a priority. This happens sometimes. My guy did it after he came out of brumation and through the spring but has since calmed back down and started eating normally again.

Hello,

He is still not eating! He is not as active as he was, but not lethargic though. Although he did stay in his hide until 1pm ( his lights go on at 8am), so I handled him for a bit then placed him near the basking spot which he layed on. He will only take a super worm or two, and a wax worm or two, the nothing. How long do you think this maturity phase lasts? Will he eat normally again? I dont want to switch to crickets, im honestly tired and sick of them haha. And BSLF are way too small for him I feel like. Dubias were perfect for him, he ate them for a month straight, then stopped 4 days ago. Today I dont want on feeding him anything, see if tomorrow makes him hungry enough to eat. If he doesnt then I'll have to keep feeding him supers and wax worms?

update: never mind on the less active, still very active, glass surfing and running around. Lol

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi, just another quick update:

He is still not eating today, not even super worms! He is still in his hide, its 1pm, laying down with head up and just looking around. Starting to get a little worried. :banghead: now not being active today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom