Went to the vet...still have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
So I took Harry to the vet yesterday, as both a general checkup and due to a few concerns. Harry had an extremely long brumation, lasting from November to March. When he started to come out of it, he went completely off of food. Harry has always been an extremely picky eater, and due to his special needs, and he often is fed slurries. They are much easier for him to eat and I can be assured that he is getting all his nutritional needs met.
His current slurry recipe is 3 parts Oxbow Critical Care, 1 part Oxbow Carnivore Care, vegetable baby food, calcium with D3 powder, bee pollen, and a multivitamin added 2 times a week.
Due to be tight on money and everything looking good in regards to his normal behavior and husbandry, I held off on taking him to the vet.
We went to the vet yesterday and the vet didn't seem overly concerned by him. This vet only sees exotics and the group of vets is one of the best in the area. I was unable to get a fecal sample to bring in for her. She gave him a precautionary dosage of deworming meds for both pinworms and protozoa. He weighs 308 grams and is 18 inches long. He is about a year and a half. She did say that his neurological condition was definitely from his MBD earlier when I first got him. She says he looks very healthy now and doesn't have any signs that the MBD is still ongoing. She did say that he will continue to have difficulties his whole life and the best I can do is to make is make him comfortable
However, she did say something that confused me. She said he should be getting calcium 2 times a week? Everywhere I have looked this has not been the case.
Overall how does everything sound that she said/did? I am extremely overprotective when it comes to my baby so I just wanted to double check.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
If she is an adult she should be getting calcium a couple times a week and vitamins once per week. I would be against pretreating for parasites and just get a sample in when you can. Medications could further keep him from eating if he doesn't need them. I had a beardie quit eating on me for no apparent reason (later found out he's ADV positive but I can't say that was the cause). I had to hand feed him for pretty much a year. I started out with slurries and baby food. I felt he needed to eat what he's supposed to so I made him eat his bugs and veggies. I fed him roaches with tongs and I lowered his bottom lip on the side and slide the roach back and forth from the side to the tip of the snout along the teeth till he ate it. I don't know how long your beardie will refuse food but you could try moving onto his normal foods. I would still keep giving him a chance to eat on his own by offering it to him first. I was shocked when mine decided to eat. I thought I was going to have to forever force feed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Harry doing today?
Does he seem to be doing ok after being medicated?
As an adult, he does need calcium at least 3 times per week to help maintain his structure.
If he has had metabolic bone disease in the past, he will likely need a little extra calcium.
Has he maintained his weight after brumation or is he losing some?
Please review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB light, temperatures,
etc with us.
If you have any pictures of him along with his setup, feel free to post them. It helps us when
we can see the setup sometimes, too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom