On eye closed - Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
My three year old female is currently going through a massive shed. She is a rescue and I think because her diet has changed so dramatically and she has put on weight that she is almost doing a fully body shed. Her eyes have just finished shedding, but there is still more on her face that is yet to "pop". She is also shedding her front and back legs, stomach and tail.

The strange thing is yesterday she started closing her left eye. I'm wondering could she have irritated it when she shed? Or could she have hurt herself as she has been rubbing a lot on her ornaments to try and remove bits of shed.

Do you think I should take her to the vets or give it a few days to see if it settles down? Also if it is irritation from shed is there anything at home that I can do to help? I can't see any obvious wound or anything but have just noticed this behavior which is very unusual for her.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah it's likely irritation from a piece of shed. It is likely to clear up on it's own after a bit so I'd just give it time and keep an eye on it for now. They're pretty good at clearing shed on their own for the most part. Look out for mucous buildup around the eye or any obvious bits of dried shed in or around the eye that aren't coming loose for some reason.

sparkybeardyandme

Original Poster
Update: She is still closing her eyes and has started closing both of them now. Just laying on her basking bulb with her eyes closed. She is eating, pooping and doing all of the other things she should be doing but just keeps closing her eyes. I have changed my set up recently and I am now worried could it be the bulbs I am using, although she was closing the one eye before I changed it. Not sure what to do now, she is still shedding her face so could still be that. Should I wait until all of the shed is completely stopped before I really worry.

sparkybeardyandme

Original Poster
No coil or compact. I'll put a list of the bulbs I am using. You can see my new set up here.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=244292

I changed it this past Sunday which was the day after I had noticed her starting to close one eye. I just don't know if the change could have aggravated it in any way.

Ligthing: Arcadia D3+Reptile lamp with reflector
Heating: Arcadia Basking Solar Flood 100 W
Temps: Basking spot 40 C / 104 F
Cold end: 24 C / 75 F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom