anyone have experienced this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
my beardie was really sick going on 4 weeks now he had some kind of parasites and/or infection on the belly my best guess the infection was not 100 percent cured when he was first sick back in march he was already sick when i bought him,anyways hes much better now i still have 5 more syringes of metronidazole to give every 2nd day vets orders,hes on the new enclosure 4x2x2 he still won't eat anything today he slept all day when i take him out of the enclosure he runs around a lot he looks healthy he just don't have much of an appetite he also not care for basking at all so if he heats i have to give him a warm bath so he can poop anyone experienced this following up a bad infection?maybe is the meds that is not making him hungry?hes been on this meds for 2 weeks now the first 2 weeks where higher doses the syringe is 1 ml so i was giving him 1 ml now is 0.7 i know this is a strong antibiotics my lizard is not showing any side effects nausea vomiting etc just not much of an appetite and also not care for basking,on this new enclosure is great cool end staying 80 to 84 and hot end 88-92 basking spot 100-102 i could make the cold end cooler by putting a house vent on the door but i think the cool end is fine right now.and of course im using a 34 inch t5 10.0 the only spot not getting uvb is the hide everywhere else he gets at least 30 uvb right in the middle of the enclosure it ranges from 60 to 100 micro wats of uvb.i was thinking of assist feeding but i need to get him to bask first when he does it it takes him like 3 days to poop because he wont bask i have to give him baths at 100f and on the 3rd day he will poop so assist feeding is kind of pointless i do give him calcium water with d3 and once a week a multivitamin so he can stay hydrated.he does like chicken baby food but he wont eat that much 1 syringe full at the most.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yea thanks this morning i bought some acidophilus i gave about 1/4 of tablet they dissolve very well in water also i gave some chicken baby food with some calcium i ordered some reptaid and benebac in powder form it should arrive wednesday but in the mean time im giving him acidophilus im surprised the vet did not recommend this .and thanks for the link i ordered trough amazon this way here i can get it quick ill just dissolve the powder in water like i do with the calcium im going to give it with reptaid and im going to hold off a bit on the rest of the antibiotics until my lizard starts eating a bit i won't hold off too long tho i don't want whatever he got to come back.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds good. Acidophilus can be helpful to them. Be careful with the bene-bac. Wash your hands well after handling it and after handling dragon poop or anything that comes with it. That contains e faecium bacteria which can cause illness in humans.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just looked at the chart for my beardie the vet wont be till tomorrow he put in there he was diagnosed with direct giardia im starting my beardie on repta boost to giving some food and the acidophilus i read the main cause of giardia is contaminated water it didnt come from me i give my beardie the same water i drink and my snakes get tap water with repti safe i live in a major city i used to deliver the 50/50 solution of sulphuric acid is one of the chemicals its being used to disinfect the water i havent got sick i only had my beardie for 3 months this was a reinfection from when i bought him.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
it's been a long 2.5 weeks but my dragon Luna looks much better at times she looked so ill i thought i was going to lose her this past week its was mainly she was so weak because she didn't eat so i did some research and i got some probiotics and a caloric supplement i bought the flukers repta boost also my dragon basked for about 3 hours yesterday i also gave her a bath she looked much better today she was in the cold side when i woke up and she was nice and warm so i figured she basked a bit this morning she still does not want to eat insects i gave her more repta+boost i still have 5 more treatments left on the metronidazole.this is Luna today [ximg]97755 7335600406[/ximg]im still trying to figure out how she got sick i know she had parasites when i bought her i took her to the vet 2 days later the vet gave same meds metronidazole but only 4 treatmeants i didn't disinfect the tank because i didn't know any better and 2.5 months later the parasites came much worse so i figured this is a reinfection that didn't start in my house i also haven't got sick for over a year not even a cold so far my 2 snakes are healthy i bought some horn worms on amazon also. Im going to be careful where i buy my insects from,and give a preventive deworm once per month or so,anyone recommend a preventive deworm?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
parasites usually come from food that has come in contact with infected poop from other reptiles. If the feeders aren't kept clean they can pass that along to other dragons. It is not likely to have come from you.

I advise against using a de worming medication preventatively. Meds can be quite harsh on their systems so I use them only when absolutely necessary. It's best to clear the current infection, sanitize the tank, and let her build her natural gut flora back up and let her immune system handle the rest.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie is looking much better the vet suggested to give some wax worms and superworms to help get strong there is 1 pet store close to my
Place that sells all kind of worms i bought some wax worms and superworms im going to mix it with salad and see what happens my beardie is not skinny weights at 350 grams and about 7 to 8 months of age she wont touch the dubias right now but i hope she will soon,once i finished the meds im going to do another fecal to make sure there all gone.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I advise going easy with those. Waxworms especially are fairly high in fat and not good in large amounts. Black soldier fly larvae, silk worms, and hornworms are healthier options but I'd use all on a rotation.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
today when i was syringe feeding with repta+boost my dragon pooped green and very foul odor my beardie has not been having much of an appetite yesterday he ate 2 superworms very lethargic and not basking other then that he looks ok is the repta boost gives that effect as its powder and it got all bunch of vitamins and who knows what not in a very concentrated dosage.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well my dragon might be having problems i haven't got the results yet from the vet but Luna is not getting worse and actually getting some uvb im going to go to the health store and buy some bee pollen and some colloidal silver,on another note my corn snake is been with me sin jan 28.2018 i bought her at petsmart she was 18 g shes been like clockwork eating every week and she just shed for the fourth time shes now 62g also in april 29-2018 i rescued a ball python the owner was feeding her small fuzzies when i got her she was 150g underweight now shes 250g and eating weaned rats im happy someone is actually thriving.hopefully i get luna back on track soon.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i decided to give panacur and my beardie is much better now hopefully the fecal comes in tomorrow.still not much of an appetite im been syringe feeding and i think i overdid it a month ago he was 350 now he is 380 he is only 8 months old i heard that an adult beardie healthy weight is around 500g

nm0999a5

Beardeddtagonlover":115fw7wy said:
my beardie was really sick going on 4 weeks now he had some kind of parasites and/or infection on the belly my best guess the infection was not 100 percent cured when he was first sick back in march he was already sick when i bought him,anyways hes much better now i still have 5 more syringes of metronidazole to give every 2nd day vets orders,hes on the new enclosure 4x2x2 he still won't eat anything today he slept all day when i take him out of the enclosure he runs around a lot he looks healthy he just don't have much of an appetite he also not care for basking at all so if he heats i have to give him a warm bath so he can poop anyone experienced this following up a bad infection?maybe is the meds that is not making him hungry?hes been on this meds for 2 weeks now the first 2 weeks where higher doses the syringe is 1 ml so i was giving him 1 ml now is 0.7 i know this is a strong antibiotics my lizard is not showing any side effects nausea vomiting etc just not much of an appetite and also not care for basking,on this new enclosure is great cool end staying 80 to 84 and hot end 88-92 basking spot 100-102 i could make the cold end cooler by putting a house vent on the door but i think the cool end is fine right now.and of course im using a 34 inch t5 10.0 the only spot not getting uvb is the hide everywhere else he gets at least 30 uvb right in the middle of the enclosure it ranges from 60 to 100 micro wats of uvb.i was thinking of assist feeding but i need to get him to bask first when he does it it takes him like 3 days to poop because he wont bask i have to give him baths at 100f and on the 3rd day he will poop so assist feeding is kind of pointless i do give him calcium water with d3 and once a week a multivitamin so he can stay hydrated.he does like chicken baby food but he wont eat that much 1 syringe full at the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom