Brumating (?) Beardie Still Refusing Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My 7-8 year-old beardie Chloe hasn't been eating for the past few months, though her behavior and overall appearance is consistent with brumation -- she sleeps or lies around most of the day and refuses food, yet she doesn't appear to be losing weight. Her coloration is still bright and her eyes are clear.

Occasionally she'll walk around and sun herself, and I'll usually offer some food at that point to see if she's back to normal. She's always refused it and eventually goes back to a brumation-like state. When I tried feeding her again today, though, she reacted almost violently, shaking her head vigorously and walking away in a really strange way. She looked like she was wobbling around drunk as she walked.

On one hand, Chloe has always been a really temperamental lizard and hates human contact (the complete opposite of my other beardie), and now she's sitting around like normal again. But her reaction today scared me a little, and now I'm concerned that her brumation period is going on for longer than usual -- if it's indeed brumation. I've also noticed that when she's alert and I'm in the room cleaning the tank or feeding, her head movements seem a bit more springy and jerky than before.

Does anyone have any advice? It would be much appreciated!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It does sound consistent with brumation. The stumbling is a bit concerning as you said but if it was just a one off thing it might not be a big deal. Brumation can last for a while in some cases. My guy was down for about 3 months or so last fall. Some stay sleepy for longer. Offer her some drops of water on her nose when she's up and use a kitchen scale to measure and record her weight. Her weight should stay pretty stable. If she is losing a lot of weight then it may indicate a health problem that should be looked into by a vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom