Is she going into brumation? It’s June in NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megdan1

Ok, so last week I went on vacation, but two days before, my one year old (this past May) female started laying under her warm hide and only coming out a lil for extra UV. I thought nothing of it because hey, they do wierd crap that freaks us out all the time right? I mean it’s been a year so I’ve seen a lot and learned a lot. But while on vacation, my mom would go over and talk to her and feed her but said she would only accept hand feeding and lay in the same spot from the Saturday I first noticed all the way to the next Friday evening. She said she went and she had moved under her uv light (Arcadia). When I got home later that night she was u set her cool hide. The next day right back to hiding under her warm hide again(minus I little basking Time here and there) but this time she started digging under her blanket that is under her warm hide. I measured the temp under there and it’s aroubd 87-89degrees f. It’s been about two weeks now and she did chase her crickets today. She’s definitely not overweight, definitely parasite free, and all of her husbandry needs are perfectly met. She’s even on a special regimen that changes every other week to keep things healthy and fresh. It’s The middle of June here in NC(so nice warm upper 90degree days to go out on) I have heard all different things about BDs getting infertility gravid around this age or so and things regarding different variations of brumation. Like I said. There’s no need to ask. I treat my girl like she’s my third daughter, so lighting, heating, feeding. Always followed the guidelines so to speak.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This is actually a little common that they slow down this time of year. Not all do but there is
a fair number of them who tend to bromate during this time of year. Ours do & our male has
brumated this time of year for 10 years now.
If your UVB lights are current, she doesn't exhibit signs of illness or isn't losing weight, then I
would think that she is most likely wanting to slow down some. Just monitor her weight, her
physical condition when she is out to be sure she doesn't begin to show any signs of distress or
illness.

Tracie

Megdan1

Original Poster
Wow! That makes me feel so much better to hear someone else say this. I have seen your post and comments and respect you as a fellow helper/Beardie slave. Lol you seem to have done your research as any responsible and pationate animal keeper should do. It comforts you to hear others have similar stories, and I knew I’d find my answers on this site and wasn’t surprised to see it was you that responded. Yes her lights are current and she most definitely isn’t losing weight. I have had to flow down tremendously with her protein. She only wants to be hand fed, which I only do when spoiling and pampering her. Most of the time her feedings are done outside of her enclosure and I let her run across the room for each insect. When she’s too full too run across the room and get it, then she is obviously no longer hungry enough to hunt. Therefore, finished eating. But now with her being so lazy, I am having to learn a whole new feeding routine and I am having to experiment. Stressful damn dragons!??. They are just like my daughters are. Worrysome but you love em to death. Thanx for the response. She even keeps this constant sleepy look. I’ll try and post a pic.

Hey guys! First time beardie owner here, I was wondering do you know at what age is it common for a beardie to undergo their first brumation and is there any way to check to see if your light is giving off adequate levels of UV? I have a 6 month old beardie who's fed twice daily greens (mustard, yellow squash, and cucumber) and around 20 dubias per feeding but for about the past week he's only been interested in his dubias for about one feeding of the day. Last week we ran out of dubias and had to feed crickets for a few days and he didn't want those, so I figured he was just spoiled on dubias, but now that we have them again he still doesn't seem as interested.

I take the dubias out of the kritter ceeper and put them in a cup and usually shake the cup and he would almost come flying off of his branch to come get them, but now he looks at it like he's interested but doesn't move. He's also been going to his sleep spot a little bit earlier each night. He's still eating his greens though, still seems to be maintaining weight, having normal BM's, the temperatures are good and he doesn't seem stressed...we took him to the vet not too long ago and had meds for coccidia which he completed so I don't think it would be parasites. Would you consider this normal?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like she is very pampered & spoiled! LOL I have no room to talk though because
ours are also.
She will eat when she feels like it & knows when she's full. They definitely do keep you on
your toes that's for sure! I used to try & keep our male from going in at this time of year but
it only stressed him & he would lose weight. So, he is the boss & knows his body.
That's great you feed out of the tank, it is easier that way I agree. I think she will be just fine.
****Melondropsie, it varies for brumation behavior. Some go in after they turn 1 or 2, while
others might go in at 6-8 months. It sounds like your male might be slowing down some. If
he is not losing weight & is not acting ill then it's ok to let him nap a little bit. He probably
wont stay in this phase for long. This sounds like normal behavior to me.
You will need to get a UV meter. The Solartech brand is the best & they run around $250 or
so. If you have more questions, you can start your own thread, so we don't hijack the OP here.

Tracie

Drache613":mqqueu47 said:
Hello,

It sounds like she is very pampered & spoiled! LOL I have no room to talk though because
ours are also.
She will eat when she feels like it & knows when she's full. They definitely do keep you on
your toes that's for sure! I used to try & keep our male from going in at this time of year but
it only stressed him & he would lose weight. So, he is the boss & knows his body.
That's great you feed out of the tank, it is easier that way I agree. I think she will be just fine.
****Melondropsie, it varies for brumation behavior. Some go in after they turn 1 or 2, while
others might go in at 6-8 months. It sounds like your male might be slowing down some. If
he is not losing weight & is not acting ill then it's ok to let him nap a little bit. He probably
You will need to get a UV meter. The Solartech brand is the best & they run around $250 or
so. If you have more questions, you can start your own thread, so we don't hijack the OP here.

Tracie

Thanks Tracie!! Sorry to hijack the OP :lol: The UV meter sounds like an investment for sure...maybe i'll just stick to making sure I replace the bulbs on a good schedule for now haha.

Megdan1

Original Poster
Melondropsie":o02qm8x8 said:
Drache613":o02qm8x8 said:
Hello,

ours are also.

Tracie

Thanks Tracie!! Sorry to hijack the OP :lol: The UV meter sounds like an investment for sure...maybe i'll just stick to making sure I replace the bulbs on a good schedule for now haha.
Haha that’s ok. I actually haven’t had time to come back. Hijacking is fine in my book. Gotta get that knowledge when the opportunity arises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom