In need of stress and gout advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash12345

I've had my beardie for about 8 weeks, he seemed in perfect health the first three weeks. The pet store sold me the wrong size terrarium, because of this I thought he was far younger and his diet had too much protein. I bought him a proper size and offered more veggies after doing my own research. The new tank seriously stressed him out though and he refused food for a while. I finally got him into a vet last week, the closest one comfortable enough to treat reptiles is a three hour drive. He was diagnosed with gout, it's only in his one foot, he received fluids and I was sent home with critical care food to syringe feed. The trip severely stressed him out and he hasn't eaten any protein since. He gets 12 CC's of the powder mixed with water and I syringe feed as much baby food as he'll tolerate. Is this enough? I'm unsure of his exact age, he was 14 inches when I bought him and he's 18 inches now. I haven't lessened much of our bonding and outside time. Should I be? He's also been spot shedding since I got him, I initially thought he was stressed from that and the small tank. I've been bathing him regularly, although baths also irritate him a bit. How long should it take to see some progress with the gout? I haven't found much of a time frame in my research, just people advising euthanasia. But, the vet didn't even mention it and he's in perfect health otherwise. Is this something I should seriously think about doing?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, gout can be a flare up or even pseudo gout, both of which can be treated successfully in most cases. Send a p.m to Drache613 , she's one of the mods. and the the gout expert here. Keep offering the critical care and add extra water, that's always necessary with gout [ hydration ]

Can you post pics of your boy as well as his set up ? Also the exact type + brand of lights you use ? Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

You can just do baths once a week or so since he hates them, oral hydration is what helps in these cases so unless he drinks in the bath he won't get much benefit . It sounds like he's doing quite well otherwise, no need to consider euthanasia. After a while he'll probably get back his appetite for insects and be sure to offer greens as well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely post some pictures of him so we can see his physical condition.
Can you review your tank setup too with your lighting, supplementation & temperatures, too,
that would be great!
Did the vet not do a blood test or did he just take an x-ray? He should have prescribed some
allopurinol to help with lowering uric acid levels.
Since he is 18 inches in length you can keep him at a low to moderate protein intake. How is
he doing with that much critical care daily?
You can start him on black cherry juice daily. He should like the taste of it. As suggested,
depending on the type of gout & what stage it's in, it is very treatable. Is his entire foot all
swollen or a few toes?
I agree, there is no reason to euthanize, he seems healthy enough right now.
I will PM you also.

Tracie

Ash12345

Original Poster
99842-4223060883.jpg
99842-5989711727.jpg
99842-410627188.jpg
I'm unsure of the brand of bulbs I'm using, the warm side is between 95-105 and the cool side is between 80-90. The vet didn't do blood work and I didn't get any medication, but I can call on Monday and see if he'd be willing to work with a companion vet in my area that I worked for. The gout's up to his elbow, he got cranky and bit down on the syringe last night and injured his tongue in the process so I've just stuck with the critical care and plain water for today. I've been giving him apple and cherry baby food, but he still won't eat anything on his own. I've taken most of the decorations and basking things out to make it easier for him to get around and easier for me to catch the crickets after offering them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, that is definitely gout. I am sure that it doesn't feel real good, the swelling.
The UVB light looks like a compact/coil light, correct? I didn't see a long tube bulb in the tank
unless I missed it. You will need to get a long tube bulb for better UVB exposure.
The brands we recommend are the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 which is a high
output tube bulb. Since you have a screen top, if you can get the light within a 10 inch distance
from the bulb & your dragon the UVB exposure will be very good. If you can find a way to get it
mounted underneath if the light would be at a safe distance of 10 or so inches the UVB would be
even better.
A blood test would have been a good idea but it does appear to be gout, to me. I have dealt with
it several times. I think he definitely needs to be put on allopurinol to get started with the
treatment.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Ashley,

How is your boy doing today? I'm glad you are giving the extra oral fluids & cherry juice for
him, that should help out.
I'll get the meds shipped out for you on Thursday.
Has he been active today & basking?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom