Beardie frayed nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyrimxlove

My drag on, Mushu, has recently gotten into the habit of glass dancing, but it's not like normal glass dancing. He does it constantly, and I have tried everything to get him to stop. I've tried enrichment activities which he wants no part of, I can take him out of the tank, but no matter how long he stays out, he immediately goes back to clawing at the glass as soon as I put him back. I cant identify any obvious things that could be stressing him out. He is about a year and a half old, eats about 50 crickets 2-3 times a week, eats mixed greens, squashes, and fruits regularly, I mist his food daily and mist him about twice a week. He's about 15" long, 40 gallon tank, UVB strip with separate basking bulb, and he is on sand. He has a tree to bask on and he has a hide that he can get in if he gets too hot. He has clings on three sides of his tank so he doesn't feel so exposed. Poops normally. I just don't know what to do because all the glass dancing is like fraying his nails and I've tried everything I know to do to negate it. He only stops when he is asleep at night, and sometimes he stops to eat, but other times he will just ignore his food bowl and just climb over it to get to the glass. Not to mention the god-awful nails on the chalkboard sound all day too.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They can certainly glass dance to the point of no return it seems like!
Have you double checked his temperatures to be sure he isn't too hot? What type of thermometer
are you using for him & which UVB light do you have?
He is a little small for his age, is the 15 inches include his tail or not?
If you have any pictures, you can post them here so we can see his physical condition.
Have you had any trouble with him ingesting the sand?
A lot of times they do get restless during the spring & summer months due to increased hormonal
levels because of the desire to breed. That could be some of it. Is his beard black?

Tracie

skyrimxlove

Original Poster
The 15 inches is tip of nose to tip of tail, and he likes to dig in the sand but I've never had issues with him ingesting it. His UVB is a strip, and it's a 10 high output bulb. He has a thermometer on the hot and cold side, and they are analog with the hygrometer as well. His temps on his hot side are usually fine. His cold side is the issue when it's hot out because without anything for heat over on his cold side, his humidity and temperature match at like 75 degrees/percent. In the winter a low wattage heat emitter does the trick. And his beard isn't black, per se, but he is almost always a little peeved, it seems. And I am not sure how to post pictures on here since I am on my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom