Effects of MBD on the skeleton *Photos*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Warning : while the photos in the link are not explicitly graphic they are of an actual euthanized animal. The process used is called diaphonization and uses chemicals to turn the soft tissues clear and dye the bones.

I see the term ‘slight MBD’ or calcium deficiency from time to time, referring to dragons who show some of the initial symptoms but aren’t the ‘classic’ severe case. This is troublesome because MBD and calcium deficiency is the sort of ailment that doesn’t show noticeable symptoms until it is already quite advanced.

Something that is very common as the bones grow weaker and more fragile are breaks. It’s not very easy for us to notice breaks, but they are painful and the extent can be vastly underestimated. The deformities and mobility problems dragons with MDB arenot just because their bones are growing improperly or in weird shapes, it’s often because they are being repeatedly broken.

Helen Kairo does some wonderful outreach and educational materials regarding reptiles. Many of her specimens, unfortunately, come to her via a rescue and are in such bad shape they cannot be rehabilitated; the bearded dragon on this post is one such animal. https://www.facebook.com/100008501173850/posts/1863825357244152/
“The red dye bonds to calcium, and there was not enough calcium in her bones for them to fully stain. I wish I could tell you that this was a rare and extreme case...... But no.... Every 4th or 5th bearded dragon I get is like this. They are generally euthanized when the rescue takes them in. They often cannot move or even eat. This is just one of those really common things that happen when someone fails to buy a UV lamp, or heat or give calcium supplements....or all three..”

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for posting this. Certainly helps underline the importance of high quality lighting and a healthy diet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Those are unfortunate pictures. It is too bad that they end up in that condition without most
realizing how severe their dragon has become.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom