One-Eyed Bearded Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiallima

I've had my bearded for about 2 months now and I haven't considered until now. He's only got one working eye, on the other side it's sunken down and he's only got a tiny bit of eyelid and a small hole, but it never opens very far. Here was born with it, so I'm sure it was an issue with development due to tampering with the egg. I always get rid of the crust that forms, assuming it's just normal with his issue, but I've recently read that there shouldn't be any excrements from their eyes. I'm probably just worried but should I get it checked out or am I just being overly worried? Picture: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ms4uhd&s=9#.WxH8xqkpA0M

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Normally no, they are not supposed to have any discharge from their eyes. Have you tried
using a sterile saline solution daily to help wash that eye out? How long has it been looking
like this?

Tracie

zoefaemiller

Hey there!
Like I said, he was born this way, the breeders told me it was a birth defect. The other eye which looks normal is never dischargey, it's only the shriveled eye. it's almost like his eye get wet with tears, completely clear liquid, and hardens into a large eye booger. I know that is gross but that's how it is. I was curious if saline solution would help, I was not sure if I could use it on him. I usually rinse it with warm water, and remove it once the eye booger gets loose, which reveals a clean and uninfected looking eye. It's very strange!

Hi! I can't believe I've finally found someone with the same problem I have!

My 14 year old beardie Crunch has had this problem to an extent in BOTH eyes for about 4 years, although it is worse in one eye than the other. In a worst case scenario the boogers harden into a glue that seals her eyes shut making her blind, but once removed her eyes are absolutely fine. I have no idea whats causing it but it doesn't seem to have any other negative health effects, Crunch is pretty healthy and has lived a nice long life so far.

I have found some solutions to help:
Clean out the goop with damp tissue or toilet paper. If held to the goop for a few seconds it will adhere pretty well and pull that goop right out. Alternatively you can use a Q-tip which also works.

The BEST thing I ever did for her eyes though was visit the vet and pick up some TRICIN Ear & Eye ointment. Adding a bit of that stuff to her eyes twice daily for a week worked wonders. It didn't completely remove the problem, but it dramatically reduced the amount of discharge in her eyes every morning. I keep some on hand for whenever the problem gets bad again.

zoefaemiller

That's amazing! I guess it must be a common problem. Thabk you for the advice for bringing him to the vet, I was definetly thinking of doing that for his crusty eye. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom