Strange behavior - I'm getting concerned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardiebayne

Hey everyone - I'm typically able to find answers to my questions somewhere within the forum, but I think I need some advice specific to my beardie's strange behavior.

The behavior: For the past two weeks, my female beardie (Bayne, about 3.5 yrs old) has been "cage dancing" like CRAZY. I mean, from the time I wake up to late in the afternoon. When I let her out of her tank to run around, she goes straight to our sliding glass door and relentlessly dances on that glass, no matter how many times I move her away from it. I've had to move to another room to work several times because I could no longer stand the *thump thump thump* of her nose and the scratching of her nails on the glass of the tank and sliding door :| Late afternoon/early evening, she will finally settle down on her log or hammock and bask until she falls asleep. But shenanigans resume every morning.

Also, she's had some strange poo's. Below I'll go into detail about what happened a few weeks ago - but right now, every day or so, she's been "poo-ing" very small amounts of mainly yellow-ish, clear liquid, with small amounts of liquidy urate (sorry, gross). She's had some nasty poo's before (a whole other story), but never anything like this.

On top of both of that, she hasn't had a huge interest in eating. She's ate a few bowls of greens here and there, but hasn't shown interest in crickets in a while. And lastly - when I came home from work today, she had managed to get herself UNDER the reptile carpet in her tank and was huddled up under it - it was honestly impressive, but she's never been one to hide!

Other details: Last month I began getting concerned about her not having poo'd in a long time. When she finally did, I could see that she struggled a bit and her urate was VERY hard. Knowing she was likely very dehydrated, I was sure to up her water intake and she poo'd normally since then (until very recently). We also just moved three weeks ago. She rode in the tank during the two hour drive and was shy for the first day or two at the new house, but returned to her normal self after that (and then into this crazy dancing monster).

So - I'm wondering if some of it is stress from the move? But its been a few weeks and I'm not sure what I can do to help her. Like I said, she's had some strange behaviors and things go on in the past, but I've never seen her act like this. Any advice for me and Bayne would be so appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Note - Her tank temperatures are appropriate; she's offered a variety of greens, typically kale, along with a variety of fruits and veggies daily; she's offered crickets 2-3x per week, as many as she'll eat at a time; she gets baths often and her body looks nice and healthy.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This sounds like either hormones or egg laying behavior. Have you given her a dig box to try and lay in? The yellow fluid is a bit concerning and you may want to have a vet check that out if it continues or if she starts acting lethargic though.

beardiebayne

Original Poster
I have not tried that - she has already laid a clutch of infertile eggs, so that wasn't even on my mind. I'll get her a dig box and see what happens! Thank you for the suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom