What is wrong with my beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie has been gaping and sometimes making a exhaling noise when opening his mouth. However, I've taken him to a few vets and he's now been on baytril for about three weeks. He's still showing some symptoms, but he's eating and running around like normal. Does anyone have ideas about what could be going on? I've got basking temps at 105, cooldown at 85, and ambient around 80. Humidity is around 35%.

pheyden54

We had a young female given to us, and she has been healthy and happy for three weeks. I spoke with other owners and did a lot of research on her care. Eats out of my hand;Veggies, meal worms and crickets, all with calcium powder. UV and heat lamps, fresh water, hammock, rocks, calcium sand instead of crushed walnuts. Thursday morning she was darker and her beard was dark too. She runs around her large aquarium, wont eat, doesn't want to be held, kicks/digs up her sand all over the place. What is going on with her and why is she so stressed? She has been here for three weeks; is she just now reacting to her new surroundings? Her tank is the same except for her substrate, which I just changed today.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The baytril can be rough on their systems so if you haven't seen a change you might consider stopping. If he is active and running around rather than lethargic that's a good sign. Does he do this exhaling all the time or is it mainly around meals? It could just be burping during and around meal times which is fairly common. If it's happening all the time it could also be caused by irritation in the mouth or throat which might be determined visually if you see any wounds around the gums or tongue. It isn't necessarily an infection.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
pheyden54":370po73g said:
We had a young female given to us, and she has been healthy and happy for three weeks. I spoke with other owners and did a lot of research on her care. Eats out of my hand;Veggies, meal worms and crickets, all with calcium powder. UV and heat lamps, fresh water, hammock, rocks, calcium sand instead of crushed walnuts. Thursday morning she was darker and her beard was dark too. She runs around her large aquarium, wont eat, doesn't want to be held, kicks/digs up her sand all over the place. What is going on with her and why is she so stressed? She has been here for three weeks; is she just now reacting to her new surroundings? Her tank is the same except for her substrate, which I just changed today.

How old is she? If she is active and digging a lot it's possible she is gravid and trying to lay eggs. If she is under a year old this is less likely but it could be hormones kicking in and causing her to act up a bit. If you can start a thread of your own under the behavior section it may get more visibility and people chiming in with thoughts/ideas. If you can provide details about your setup and photos of her and her setup that would be helpful as well.

pheyden54

She is 15 inches long and I don't know how old she is. I put her in a luke warm bath and she wasn't impressed. I cuddled her and stood outside in the sun. She loved that, and even ate 4 worms. Then after while when I put her back she did more digging so I built her a little cave and put damp shavings in there. She has been digging and kicking around in there. Silly girl; I've had days like that too.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Based on that I'd say fewer baths, more outside time in the sunshine, and more digging time =). If the shavings get too messy (and she doesn't like baths) you can put in a bunch of fleece scraps. Those won't get caught on her nails and are easy to throw in the washer to clean if need be.

pheyden54

I soaked her yesterday for 15 minutes and she didn't mind. This was only the second time I have bathed her, I am afraid she would be dehydrated. I am concerned as I have not found any poo in her sand, although she could have buried it during her digging. But then she isn't eating either. Didn't touch her salad but spread it all over the place. I am considering taking her to a vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom