Is this yellow fungus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonlover200

I recently got a bearded dragon and I noticed a spot on his side and it has no scales and is a gray color but it doesn’t seem to bother him I just wanted to get advice from a experienced person
98811-249121585.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello and welcome to the forum! :D

I'm betting it's most likely not Yellow fungus but just to be safe, Could you post a picture or two of his spots and his setup? https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ (Just upload the image you want and then go back to this page and click the XIMG button and the pictures should show up).

Could you also please review his setup and lights? Have you tried bathing him (no deeper then his elbows) and scrubbing at the spot with a soft toothbrush to see if it would come off?

Keep us posted,

-HippieLizards.

Dragonlover200

Original Poster
98811-375749902.jpg
I posted a picture of his set up and the spot I have no uvb bulb right now because mine blew out and he’s not eating my sister thinks he’s shedding but I’m just trying to be safe than sorry hope you can help @hippielizards -hope I spelled that right the white stuff on the black spot is fungal ointment I read you can put that on there if it’s mites ,I have bathed him with a toothbrush and the stuff came off a little bit but it was still there

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
That is just some retained shed. Just give him a bath once a week and gently scrub it with a soft toothbrush and it should come off eventually. Or it could just be a few missing scales which will grow back/come back after his next shed.

But I noticed that he is being cohabited with another beardie. You really should separate them ASAP because beardies are HIGHLY territorial animals and it is most likely causing them lots of stress.

Cohabiting beardies can cause:

-Stress,
-Health problems,
-Fighting,
-Dominance disputes which can lead to the less dominant one not eating and some other health problems,
-injuries (which can be severe and they could kill eachother),
-One or both not eating,
-The more dominant one getting the best Heat and UVB rays and the more submissive one getting the less good ones and eventually becoming more and more sickly.

There's about a million more reasons on why not to keep beardies together in the same cage but I pointed out the biggest ones.

I Would recommend putting the more dominant one inside a 120L bin/tub/tote with lights and UVB to house the more dominant one until you can get another tank for him/her.

-HippieLizards.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Oh dear.. That actually kinda looks like Y.F :( Could you get a closer and more clear picture? I Recommend PMing someone who is more experienced with Y.F such as Drache613, EllenD, CooperDragon, or AHBD.

I'm not certain that it is Y.F but it's starting to look like that, Which means that you will DEFINITELY need to separate him from the other beardie ASAP.

I Would take him and the other beardie to and EXPERIENCED REPTILE VET. NOT A NORMAL VET OR AN EXOTICS VET BECAUSE THEY WILL DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD.
It's VERY important that you take him and the other beardie to an experienced reptile vet and ONLY an experienced reptile vet. Here is a list of herp vets: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjo_5-Nou_aAhUBt1MKHeEOAxAQFggnMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.anapsid.org%2Fvets%2F&usg=AOvVaw2pP2IkrYDg_rfAEPCSx1AB

I Recommend taking them both to a vet and getting a skin scraping test done on both of them to determine whether it's Y.F or not.

Please keep us posted.

-HippieLizards.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
How is he doing today? Has the other beardie been showing any signs similar to the other beardie? Have you separated them yet?

BTW, Here’s a few threads about what happened to a beardie when it was cohabited(with some more reasons why not to have them together): viewtopic.php?f=45&t=228673&hilit=amputation viewtopic.php?f=1&t=239692&p=1837437&hilit=Cohabitation#p1837254 and this is a more recent one: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=242085

If you can’t find another cage I would check Craigslist or Facebook marketplace for another tank.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Have you taken both of them to a vet yet? Did you do a skin scraping test on both of them yet? Is the other one infected as well? Has the spot been spreading at all? How are they? Please keep us posted! :)

LovemyDraycp

99205-6601374675.jpg
Drache613 I was told u are the best person to ask about any medical questions. I have had my bearded dragon 3 months from a teenager who had no time for him. He has a yellow spot on his belly which I'm going to post. DOES THIS LOOK like YF to you?
99205-6601374675.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Were you able to get him to a vet for a skin scraping? Let us know how he is doing. It is
important that you get it analyzed right away so you can catch it early on before it spreads.
He has a great chance at kicking it if it's treated immediately.

****LovemyDraycp**** Yes, that actually does look like yellow fungus. Please start a thread
just specifically for you & your dragon so that we don't hijack the OP here. I highly recommend
getting your dragon to the vet for analysis also.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom