Concerns about my young beardie!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoicktheDragon

I have a young bearded dragon, approximately 4-5 months old I believe. Has been doing great so far until now. Currently in a 30g enclosure, basking temps between 100-105 F, cool side between 80-85 F. Night time doesn't drop below 80 F. Feeding a mostly dubia roaches but sometimes crickets and occasionally wax worms but not often. Veggies include collar greens, dandelion greens, carrot, bell pepper, and cabbage for now. He has the appropriate UVB and I dust with Repashy supplement every feeding. I've only had him about a month and thus far he's been really active and eating great and everything. But in the last week I've noticed some potential issues that I'm worried about. I was reading about tail rot and his tail is darker than the rest of him. It doesn't look brittle or dry or broken but it's darker. And just yesterday I was noticing he wasn't walking quite right and his front leg doesn't seem to be grasping much, he will limp and kind of fold it on its wrist when he's basking at times. But I'm most concerned about a hind leg that has a swollen ankle. He was walking funny on it and upon further examination I noticed it was a bit swollen. I've been reading about gout in beardies, even young ones and I'm really scared for my baby. I'm including a bunch of pictures of his tail and legs. Any advice would be super helpful. I have a part time job so I'm pretty broke most of the time but if I need to take him into the vet I'll do my best. And if he does have these issues, is it something I'm doing wrong? Faulty breeding? Any help is appreciated!!
fXwB2RY.jpg

kQ74naE.jpg

r4DiiRc.jpg

fakDDv8.jpg

e6McAIm.jpg

jPvaY9X.jpg

kyuCJpt.jpg

Back left leg in that photo
UQKRpUF.jpg

That's what he's been doing with his front leg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
His tail looks fine. It's common for them to be darker toward the end. The ankle does look a bit swollen. Possibly swelling up to help a shed but I'd keep a close eye on that. It's also common for them to rest with their hands bent like that sometimes and isn't necessarily an issue. If he's having trouble moving on it though it might be a sign of trouble. Which UVB light are you using and how far is it from his basking area? If you can let the temp drop a bit more overnight he might appreciate it. I like to keep my tank in the low 70s overnight to give a cool down period and better simulate their natural environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom