Beardie "Warning signs"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a relatively new bearded dragon owner. So far things have been going pretty well between myself and Stilgar. However, he's just a little guy, and I know how fragile any young animal can be! Basically I want to know the most common very early symptoms that something isn't quite right, to make sure it's addressed quickly. I know some common things like lethargy, not defecating, jaw deformation, but I want to make sure I don't miss any "beardie vital signs". Thankyou from me, and I'm sure from Gar.
98290-7373371236.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is always a good idea to take a look at their colors, whether they are pale or dark, etc.
Their beards become darkened if they are not feeling well & doesn't lighten at all if they are
truly in distress. If the eyes become sunken in the orbit, that is a sign of severe dehydration
which could be renal issues or heart problems possibly.
Dramatic or quick weight loss is a big sign of something going on. In time, you will learn how
to read your dragon's personality & be able to tell whether or not he is feeling well.
He is a great looking, handsome dragon! :D

Tracie

EddyRancid

Original Poster
Thankyou for the info! I did a pretty significant amount of research before I brought him home, but there's so much conflicting info out there I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious. And I agree, he's a great looking young lad, haha! It's already funny seeing his little idiosyncrasies develop. Here he is on his favorite out-of-tank basking spot, surveying his domain...
98290-3010650124.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Gar does look quite alert & happy sitting there in the sun. :D They love to do that as well as
look out the windows, too.
He should do just fine for you then. He will grow very fast as well so enjoy him while he is
small & young.
Let us know how he is doing or if you need more help.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom