Critically ill beardy - RIP Sydney, you will be missed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephan85

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

There is a lot of “we should/could have” and “maybe” in our heads but unfortunately nothing is going to bring her back. In a way I feel more guilty being on this forum as it feels there was more we could have done, but again... isn’t that what we always have after something happened?!

Her signs for us were not obvious there was something wrong, she basically lost appetite but at the same time she was shedding.. and she usually lost appetite when shedding! She had a piece of old skin stuck on her bum which she ‘ripped’ a little bit and it made her uncomfortable, which was the initial reason for a vet visit. The vet also felt some oval shaped bits inside her (assuming egs), everything else looked healthy! We got some painkiller and cream to take care of her sore bum and some protein powder mixture so we could feed her as she had lost a bit of weight (not a lot though!).
We also provided a toilet sample at the same time and came back she had (minimal) parasites, we got some meds for this as well and provided this.
Basically one week later she started eating again by herself so we didn’t know expect anything... her beard turned orange and she was ‘normal’ again. Until we started seeing discolouration of skin near her nose and bum, more vet trips and meds for her... fungus skin infection..

We didn’t go for an autopsy after she passed away as we decided she has been through enough and did not need her dead body to be ‘handled’. so we don’t know 100% for sure what happened but based on what we know her organs were most likely affected by fungus and by the time we noticed it on the skin I don’t think anyone would have been able to save her.. as i mentioned in the beginning, maybe/what if.. we just didn’t see it....!

The day before she passed she was still running, climbing and head bobbing.. we wondered where she got the energy from... maybe she knew...!

dezismom

Juvie Member
I am so sorry for your loss! It is a difficult decision to make--I have had to make it for my beloved dog, who had cancer. That was a very fast decline...I suspect some serious internal problems, but it does not really matter, now...thank you for the photo of her in better times--what a sweetface! I know you loved her and did best you could for her. Please accept my heart felt condolences I will hug my beardie, on her behalf...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom