Is this Brumation or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushe

Hello everyone! Hope your dragons are doing well!

I am a owner of a female bearded dragon, she’s name is Papua and she is 10 months old.
I live in Portugal and we are getting throw some cold and rainy winter now. I live in a cold place and with a high humidity just during winter. To pass throw those problems Papua’s terrarium setup is a 100watts CHE, 125w exo terra solar glo and an Arcadia 12% uvb t8 euro range. The terrarium is 1,50m x 0,50m x 0,50m.

I am sorry if this was already answered but I’m concerned. I read a lot of posts about brumation here on the forum but I wanted to be sure and know your opinion first before going to a vet.

So Papua since some weeks to now doesn’t eat much or almost nothing. If I don’t play with her she rests almost all Day in her cave. When I try to give her some food sometimes she eats and sometimes she doesn’t and close her eyes. According to her age isn’t it to early to brumate? That is my concern according to her behaviour. I have a photo of her poop so you can tell me if it is on the regular normal or seems to have a problem. The poop looks like containing some blood in the photo but its definitly not, just a brownish to red in the end of acid uric, doesn’t seem like blood at all. She only poops when I bath her since this behaviour starts to happen. She doesn't spend almost any time on the basking spot or any time at all.
I will post some photos so you can tell me if she is healthy. Well, she really seems firm and strong when I grab her and somehow active when I bath her because she doesn’t really like water, unfortunatly.

I really want to play with her but know it is a bit difficult. I am an architect student, don’t have much time to spend like hours with her outside the terrarium and the temperature outside is a bit low for now... on summer for sure I will spend!!!

Thank you for your patience and time, best regards!!

94419-8385030287.jpg
94419-4992708401.jpg
94419-8847155408.jpg
In this photo she did a lot of poop but the water dissolved part of it and it was normal so I just took a photo from the acid uric

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Changing weather can cause them to slow down and hide sometimes. This spring has some pretty unusual weather. Based on the photos she looks to be almost fully grown and a good weight so I wouldn't worry. Try to keep track of her weight so you can see if she is losing a lot or if it is stable. Offer her some water so she can be hydrated but otherwise I would leave her alone if she is being sleepy. If her weight is stable I wouldn't worry too much for now. Hopefully she will be more energetic when the weather starts to get better.

KozmoRox

Hi, Papua is so pretty! She looks a lot like my Kozmo. Kozmo went into brumation at 11 months like yours is doing as the weather was turning colder last fall. It began with less eating and a lot of resting and sleeping during the day, then went to full hiding/sleeping for weeks. Her poop changed and sometimes had the rusty brown on her urate, and it was runny sometimes too. She would come out occasionally for a day or so, but then back to hiding, I would offer her veggies and water with a dropper when she did. I weighed her frequently to be sure she was healthy. This lasted just over 4 months, but now she's back to normal. She's 18 months and is growing and shedding again. Just be patient, time seems to pass slowly, but soon Papua will be ready to play again!

89207-2736067986.jpg

Sushe

Original Poster
Thank you for your response! Indees papua is really pretty and kozmo too! About brumation, I didn’t expect that could last for about 4 months , I know that depends on the bearded dragon but that’s way too long! That will definitely pass slowly! But thanks about the information and everything, glad you helped me! Best regards and I wish the best for kozmo too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom