10 year old beardy update

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaruBD

Hey so I recently made a post about some problems my girl was having, including low appetite for greens and twitching in her back.

I took her to the vet and he told me she was hypocalcemic and suggested I use a fogger in her terrarium for 5 minutes every morning for a month. Her fecal test came back negative.

What do you guys think about the treatments he suggested? I’m not too sure about the fogger especially... I’ve always been under the impression that high humidity was bad and could cause respitory problems?

Thanks for any insight you may have!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, did the vet do a blood test that showed she was hypocalcemic ? Is she eating well for you, if so do you dust her food with calcium powder ....also, what kind of uvb bulb do you have and how old is the bulb. Post a few pics of your girl as well as her set up.

A fogger is not at all appropriate for a beardie, she would probably develop an R.I. If she's dehydrated you can offer water dripped on her snout daily to give her a chance to drink and also a quick spritz with a spray bottle to aid in shedding.

A fogger would be used for tropical chameleons + other reptiles that live in the tropics, but not good at all for a beardie.

BaruBD

Original Poster
Sorry, I should have given a link to my previous thread, it will answer a lot of questions.
Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=240640
Thank you for the reply.
He did not do a blood test, he came to the conclusion that she was hypocalcemic from the twitching in her sides.
She is still not eating her greens since that post.
She's not dehydrated. I bathe her every 2 weeks and offer her water every 2-3 days.

That's what I thought about the fogger... I asked him about her possibly getting a respiratory infection and he explained that "In the mini-ecosystems that they live in, there are times that humidity gets quite high."

BaruBD

Original Poster
BaruBD":1d8f6ak9 said:
Sorry, I should have given a link to my previous thread, it will answer a lot of questions.
Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=240640
Thank you for the reply.
He did not do a blood test, he came to the conclusion that she was hypocalcemic from the twitching in her sides.
She is still not eating her greens since that post.
She's not dehydrated. I bathe her every 2 weeks and offer her water every 2-3 days.

That's what I thought about the fogger... I asked him about her possibly getting a respiratory infection and he explained that "In the mini-ecosystems that they live in, there are times that humidity gets quite high."
and that he "guarantees she will start eating her greens again." if I were to use the fogger for 5 mins every morning for 3-4 weeks.

It was also confusing what he told me about helping her presumed hypocalcemia, he told me that he "doesn't like supplements that much." and "dark green leafy vegetables" would be better, I know this but that's part of the problem she was there for!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing?
They are semi-arid reptiles so too high of humidity all of the time will lead to respiratory
issues. So we don't recommend using a fogger at all. As suggested, just mist her or use
a dropper & get her to drink off of the end of the dropper.
It is relatively hard for them to get all of their calcium needs through greens & or the
vegetation. So, it really is important to get a calcium supplement for her to give at least
several times per week.
Is your Reptisun 10 tube bulb mounted on top of or underneath of the screen? If it is 8 or
so inches from her but mounted on top of the screen, it wont be very effective. I highly
recommend mounted it underneath of the screen for better UVB emissions.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

BaruBD

Original Poster
Hi Tracie, she seems to be doing a bit better, she’s eating her greens again, and I recently bought some black soldier fly larvae and she’s been eating about 40 every 2 days.
I’ve been using a 1:1 ratio mixture of Rep-Cal Herptivite and Zoo Med Calcium on them every other feeding.

I didn’t use any fogger however I did put her water bowl closer to the basking bulb for more humidity and it’s now reading 25-40% humidity depending on the time of day, in the middle of the tank.

However, the body tremors are still happening.

Her reptisun 10.0 is mounted inside the tank using command clips and is 6 1/2 to 7 inches away from her when basking.

Still trying to get her dubia colony established.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great she is doing a little better now! :D
At least she is eating her greens & loves the solider flies, too. Her appetite has come back
pretty well. I am sure that the supplementation has helped out for her, too.
That is fine with the humidity now, do you take it out at night?
She is still having body tremors? I recommend getting some liquid calcium for her to help
with possible calcium issues. They tend to absorb it a lot more quickly & efficiently.
I hope your dubia colony gets going!
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

BaruBD

Original Poster
Thanks again for the reply.
I don’t take the water out at night and the humidity is the highest in the mornings.

She still has the tremors. :(
I’m getting increasingly concerned mostly because I’ve not seen any post or video of a beardies back and sides twitching the way hers does.
All info I can find about twitching or muscle spasms are either seizures which I’m 99% sure it’s not, and vitamin b deficiency. And MBD will cause toes to twitch but hers have never done that.

I’m at a loss about what is actually causing it

I’ve thought about trying liquid calcium, how often and what dosage would I need to give her?
And what is a good brand?

Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry she is still having some twitching problems. How are her colors doing?
Does she seem stressed at all?
I have seen some dragons' sides twitch due to metabolic bone issues. It is just either a
vitamin deficiency or calcium problems. Liquid calcium would probably be very helpful
for her, because it is absorbed easier than powdered is.
Is she eating any better & still eating her greens?
I hope your dubia colony is doing well so far.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

BaruBD

Original Poster
She hasn't eaten for 2 days now, not even her BSFL.
Seems she is having high hormones, bobbing her head and glass surfing, wanting out etc., she is notorious for not eating during that time so I'm not too worried about it.
I've not noticed any changes in her color.
Doesn't seem stressed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, a lot of them do get hormonal during this time of year & act quite crazy even the
females, too. At least she doesn't seem stressed then & has no black beard, either.
As long as she isn't losing weight, she will be fine if her eating slows down a little here
& there.
How long do you let her out to run around each time?

Tracie

BaruBD

Original Poster
I’ll let her out till she starts slowing down and getting cold, then put her back in her viv.

Waiting for it to warm up over here in Georgia so I can take her out for some real UVB.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It may be calcium related so hopefully the extra calcium and maybe some time in the sun will help. Tracieels liquid calcium on her website www.bugdelite.com.

Is there any way you could post a video of the twitching ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom