Orange Urate

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
If I gave her carrots or anything that would effect the coloring I wouldn't be so worried right now, but the thing is she hasn't had anything that would effect the color of her urate. At least not to my knowledge.
Only thing she's had today is turnip greens, 5 mealworms and 4 superworms dusted in multivitamins as a little treat. Normally today she'd just been giving greens and then bugs tomorrow but she wouldn't stop trying to get to the bugs so I figured a little meal would be fine and she'd just get bugs on Friday and greens all weak long, before continuing on a Monday/Friday twice a week feeding schedule for insects.

Normal insect feeding meal is 15 crickets, 5 black soldier fly larvae and occasionally mealworms and superworms added into the meal.
And then turnip greens, mustard greens, and collard greens offered all day everyday, either by hand or in a bowl. Occasionally she'll get fruit like blueberries, strawberries, and banana. As long as I dont eat them first which happens often so they tend to not get too much fruit.

Her dusting schedule is generally 2x a week for calcium, occasionally 3x a week. And then once a week for multivitamins.
Normally I used to do both insect feedings as calcium but have started to do Monday as a calcium day, and Friday as a multivitamin day for the adults. With the second calcium feeding being mixed in with the salad on Wednesday.

Setup Info -
Standard 75 gallon glass tank screen top.
Arcadia D3+ T5 HO 14% 46" bulb in a reflective fixture. About a month old or two.
Substrate on warm side is tile, substrate on cool side is paper towels.
Basking temp ranges from 95-105 depending on where she's sitting below the 150 watt zoomed basking bulb. Normally sits at about 105 though on her log, with lower temps on the hammock.
General warm side seems be at around 88.
Cool side around 70 when the cool air is on, about 80 when the heater is on.
Night time temp varies a bit her enclosure specifically is around 70 at night, may dip into the high 60's depending on outside whether.
All temps are monitored with a temp gun.
Humidity is around 30%.

Info on her currently if needed-
She is about 17-18" and 505 grams, eating perfectly normal other than eating a lot more greens than before which is nice.
Currently sitting in my windowsill having a staring contest with my cat on the other side.

89510-7561172219.jpg
Dont mind the little bits of tegu/beardie shed, dog hair and anything else on the carpet. Letting Venus out is the only way to get her to actually go to the bathroom, I've only had her go a few times in her new tank and it wasn't very much when she did.

Anyway, any idea what caused the odd coloration?
The urate wasn't exactly hard, just firm.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Orange colour in the urates indicates excess calcium in the diet , it precipitates in the urates as very fine orange coloured calcium oxalate crystals .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
VenusAndSaturn":1eij31h6 said:
Should I cut down on the calcium, so rather than 2x a week just once?

How thick do you coat the insects when dusting them ?

I DUST ALL my crickets on use , but only VERY LIGHTLY , NOT CAKED on.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I do my best to only lightly dust them but sometimes they get a bit too much on them, which may have caused this as I generally feed crickets for the most part, and its mostly crickets that get the most on. The worms and roaches tend to not get as much on them as crickets do for me anyway.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I gave Venus a bath earlier, after following my hand around, digging around and mainly drinking water the whole time she went to the bathroom. Poop was basically normal, urate was orange just like before.

Only had some mustard and turnip greens today, I'm thinking about possibly not giving her calcium this week... my mom said we could take her to the vet to get her checked out in case its anything else if the orange coloring is still there after a bit.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I dust every bug meal as well but just a light thin coat by shaking the bugs in a small cup with the calcium. I would try offering extra water via drops on her nose every day for a week or two. The extra hydration may help flush her kidneys and get everything back to normal. Worst case she'll just wind up passing the excess water through with her poops.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
She went to the bathroom earlier, urates of course still orange but I noticed it seemed to be a bit more whiter this time.

I generally give them water on a daily basis anyway by an eye dropper or by bath. Generally she gets more baths than the other two because she actually drinks from it and enjoys swimming around while the others get baths when they get dirty as they dont enjoy it very much nor do they drink from it.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Getting a bit worried, she still has orange urates. It is somewhat white rather than entirely orange so thats a good sign I think.

She went in her enclosure today rather than outside like usual. Instead of having poop it was just the white/orange urate.
Which I've never seen from her, usually when she goes its not just the urate.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you try and capture a photo to post if this happens again? I'd like to compare what it looks like now to the earlier ones.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hmm, Same here with Cisco. Just yesterday she had a poop that looked just like that. I wonder why our beardies poops are like that. Did you feed her mango at all? I fed Cisco some mango and she later had a huge poop just like that. Maybe its the mustard greens? I Did feed her some mustard greens as well (I Am doing basically everything your doing care wise).

Pooping out only urate is very strange. Perhaps your not feeding her enough? I recently asked my vet the same question about orange urates and he said that sometimes they can get orange urates from parasites. But when the fecal sample came back, it was perfectly fine. But when Cisco did have orange urate a few months ago and I took her to the vet, she apparently had a huge load of pinworms and a few other parasites (I don't remember what all of them were) The vet gave me some panacur and the orange poops stopped. I Would suggest asking your vet about this.

Hope her poop gets back to normal.

-HippieLizards.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I actually have a photo of it right now, I forgot to post it.
Thinking back to when she last pooped, that urate was a lot whiter than this one is.

89510-6865952383.jpg

Later today I'm going to ask my mom about going to a reptile vet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hmm. While I don't think it's an urgent issue it does seem off. It still has only been several days though. Urate is related to kidney function so it might be a good idea to have a blood test done just to check to see if everything is within normal levels. In the meantime plenty of hydration won't hurt.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Weird, That looks like Thor's poop from a few months ago, he had a massive pinworm infestation and some weird bacteria. His poop looked just like that, So I would recommend getting a fecal test done as well.

I Do agree with cooperdragon, Definitely do keep her hydration levels up.

Keep us posted.

-HippieLizards.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
We have three vets nearby (Somewhat), two are reptile vets and one is an exotic vet. The exotic vet I barely trust as I've went to him multiple times mostly for fecal tests because of the price and thats about all he knows how to do correctly. Some vets just need to stick with cats and dogs.

I have not went to the two other vets before but my mom is going to give them a call soon and ask about the prices for a fecal test and blood test there along with if they're experienced with beardies.

I'll be giving Venus a bath in a minute, luckily she's a fairly easy dragon to hydrate. Just move the water with your finger and she'll drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom