Concerned about Slim - possible yellow fungus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's O.K, try not to think the worst. Wer'e already pretty sure he doesn't have Y.F. and he still has a good appetite. He's probably going to get through this, he's a strong boy. I'm on my way out now but will be back on later. Be strong !

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much. I will update when I can. Honestly, his strength has really impressed everyone!

I'm going to start his honey treatment soon and when I see the new vet I'll ask for a skin scrape to be certain.

I so appreciate you taking so much time to help me today. :)

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi,

We just applied the gauze and honey.

Here are pics after we removed the vet's bandage and after I wrapped it up. Just a warning that it's graphic...

m10FX11.jpg

6Zo8FqK.jpg

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I put him in his tank to go to sleep as it's nighttime now... I cleaned it out and he's on a bare glass bottom with nothing else in the tank, in hopes that he won't rub up against anything and pull the gauze off. It's pretty loose.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good job ! And it IS only the one area, it's bad in that one spot but the pre- anal pores are fine as well as his other leg. Just check it every 2-3 days and keep the honey on all the bad looking scales. As long as the tape is wrapped around it shouldn't come off.

How did Slim do during this ?

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1pudtuyk said:
Good job ! And it IS only the one area, it's bad in that one spot but the pre- anal pores are fine as well as his other leg. Just check it every 2-3 days and keep the honey on all the bad looking scales. As long as the tape is wrapped around it shouldn't come off.

How did Slim do during this ?

Thank you. It looks ok? Did the wound look bad??

He definitely huffed and puffed and squirmed a bit, but no black beard. My boyfriend held onto him for me.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It does look bad , open wound with tissue exposed. It will take a pretty long time to heal. I honestly don't know how the vet decided to tear the leg open like that. :( The surrounding skin looks partly necrotic but I think it can regenerate with the honey on it.

Did the vet use some betadine/iodine on the area that caused the dark color/stain on the scales ?

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD":fxtbhcvo said:
It does look bad , open wound with tissue exposed. It will take a pretty long time to heal. I honestly don't know how the vet decided to tear the leg open like that. :( The surrounding skin looks partly necrotic but I think it can regenerate with the honey on it.

Did the vet use some betadine/iodine on the area that caused the dark color/stain on the scales ?

I'm honestly not sure. I know they were flushing it out and soaking him. I did pick up betadine... Should I do that when i change the gauze?

The reason i was worried about handling this myself is the exposed tissue. :( I find it hard to believe honey can heal that, but I did see that crazy picture from Germany with the baby, so I suppose it's possible...

I guess now it's time to wait and see.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Good morning all,

Here's my little trooper, awake and alert. He took some water from a dropper this morning and even seemed mildly interested in his veggies. I'm so proud of him for being so strong. <3

jYPULoI.jpg

The honey seems to be seeping through the gauze a bit and getting sticky on both him and the glass, so I have a feeling he's a bit uncomfortable. But hopefully all should be well.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, he looks very dapper there, even with his little beardie diaper on. BTW, has he had a bowel movement during the time he's been bandaged up ? If so, did it soil the previous bandage ?

One more thing, be 100% sure there are no insects anywhere hiding in his tank , they'd be drawn to the honey.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I made sure all the insects were gone (I emptied his tank completely to spray it down last night).

He has had bowel movements since this started but never on the bandage, thankfully. His last one was two days ago at the vet, which happened when they were handling him--so he's been cleaned since his last BM.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Honestly that wound doesn't look that bad for what they did to him, I too am totally confused as to why they did what they did, and about the way that they did it...ugh. He's a trooper though, that's for sure...

AHBD is completely correct about the raw, unpasteurized honey, it's a natural, strong antimicrobial, and is often used after several Antibiotics are found to be ineffective on a wound, and the raw honey always seems to do the trick. If you're applying it daily, or twice daily, then you should start to see that area around the exposed tissue start to heal within the next day or two. The exposed tissue itself is going to take a while to close, I have no idea what they were thinking leaving that open like that, but I would absolutely stay far away from that particular vet. Hopefully the new vet who is going to do the Skin-Scraping test can take a closer look at the wound to be sure that everything is healing properly.

And honestly I still don't see any signs of Yellow Fungus, if the vet was speaking about the yellow tinted scales that are all around the wounds, well notice how they are ONLY going all around the wounds and no where else at all. That's either a light staining from them swabbing him with Betadine before they removed all of that tissue, as direct Betadine swabbed on the skin/scales lasts forever, or more than likely it simply discolored scales from the wound seepage, and all of that being under that bandage with no air. It still doesn't look at all like Yellow Fungus to me, so that's good. I think he'll be fine, he just needs time to heal, they did a number on him. But he's not black bearding, so that means he's not feeling too badly.

And you're doing an awesome job, I know looking at that open wound isn't pleasant, but you did a great job cleaning the area out and applying the honey to it, and then wrapping it back up, so you're good to go as far as that goes. Trust me, it's MUCH less stressful for you Dragon to go through that at home than it is to take him back to that vet and have them messing with him. That's another real advantage to doing this yourself at home, the less stress he is under the better off he is...

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you Ellen! Yeah, he's not black bearding at home, but he definitely does come out of that vet's office with the biggest, blackest beard I've ever seen on him. He was definitely a bit puffy last night but no black beard thankfully.

You mentioned applying the honey every day but AHBD suggested every 2-3 days. I'm wondering what's best...

I definitely think whatever is happening to his scales is a result of whatever the vets did to him there. I'm hoping to see some improvement in that thanks to the honey soon. My second opinion appointment is on Wednesday... fingers crossed everything goes ok until then.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's best to just use a thick layer + change it every 2 days to minimize stress + chance of contamination right now. If it were a less invasive wound then every day or twice a day would be fine.

I'm not sure about the disinfectant . Since he probably doesn't have Y.F don't be too worried about cleaning the tank + causing more stress, just keep it reasonably clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom