Bearded Dragon Vet Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrudyFruity

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and hope that someone can help me out. Sorry for the long post. My bearded dragon Trudy had trouble laying infertile eggs.

Between Feb. 14-16, she laid a total of 5 eggs.

Feb. 17-18 she still had trouble pushing the eggs out and didn't laid any. I didn't have time to bring her to the vet until Feb. 19. Went to an exotics vet and did some bloodworks as well as Xray. The vet told me she had about 8-10 eggs left on the x-ray and that everything including her respiratory tract looks fine. He doesn't know why she would have trouble laying eggs as her husbandry info looks great etc. We had to wait till Wed. to get the results from the blood tests. They gave her a calcium injections to help with her egg laying and lubed her so that the eggs could come out easier.

Feb. 20 Trudy laid a total of 28 eggs and seems to be fine. 28 eggs seems to be more than 8-10 eggs that the vet suggested. Trudy ate a lot of worms and collards. Drank plenty of water. I think she might have been having trouble laying eggs because of her lay box didn't have enough play sand. After buying more and adding it she laid all of her eggs.

Wed. Feb. 21. The vet called and said everything looked find except her white blood count is a lil low. Otherwise everything is okay and he told me to come back to the vet this week because he wants to give her injections to help with her white blood cells. He also wants to give her medications to treat ringworms/pinworms and/or other parasites just in case she has them.

My question here is that she hasn't done a fecal test so why would she need some medication for ringworms and parasites? He doesnt know if she has parasites. Also, she looks healthy after the whole egg laying ordeal and been running around, eating, drinking, and resting normally. Is the vet trying to get some money out of me? or do I really need all these injections/medications for her. I don't want to get them if she doesnt need them.

- I also like to point out that the vet tech and veterinarian thought my bearded dragon was a boy until I told them she was a girl.

This is trudy my bearded dragon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks very sweet + healthy there ! Glad she got all the eggs out....good call on giving her calcium injection and your idea to add more playsand.

But no, definitely positively don't give her any dewormer ! There are numerous recent threads, 2 resulting in deaths, after a vet gave meds. to beardies that had parasites but were otherwise eating + healthy. hen a vet doesn't know an adult dragon's gender, that is always a red flag.

So just keep your girl well fed, hydrated + with good calcium supplementation and she should be fine. :)

TrudyFruity

Original Poster
thanks AHBD, the vet seemed a lil fishy. Too bad I already spent $340 there. Unfortunately there isn't a great herp vet here where I live. I've been to 4 and farthest one was an hr away. The other past vet I went to doesnt seem to care about my beardie and only how much money they will be making with unnecessary tests. Makes me wonder if most vets are like this.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry the picture isn't showing, of Trudy for me to see.
I'm glad she got all of those eggs out! At least she did get a calcium injection because
that probably helped out. Hm, he couldn't determine her sex either? Not good!
I concur, unless her fecal showed high amounts of worms, parasites, etc which were
causing her ill health, she doesn't need routine medications. Too many vets are just
automatically medicating for no reason. She didn't have a fecal done, so the vet has
no idea if she even has anything anyway, but she's doing great right now so she definitely
doesn't need anything.
Sometimes their white counts can vary, depending on the season. Brumation phases can
cause white count changes, or so can stress.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom