Infertile bearded dragon eggs??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have an approximately 9 month old female bearded dragon that appears to have laid some eggs when she pooped. She's been completely healthy, lively, and active, and have not noticed any changes in her behavior other than becoming tired early in the evening for the past couple of months. Is this what infertile eggs look like in poop?

97324-6850144462.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated, as this is the first time I've seen this from her since I got her in July last year (she was nearly 2 months old when I got her). She seems to be completely fine, alert as ever right now and as I said, no change in behavior or appetite.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Well, they definitely can pass eggs in bowel movements, and I'm assuming that's what these are, but they are a bit odd looking. The one is completely encased in the poop, so can't really see that one, and that other one that is yellow or tan looking is very odd, but I'm going to assume that's what it is...there is bright white showing through directly in the middle of the bowel movement, was that the urate or was that another egg?

I'm going to assume that they are eggs, it's not unusual that they drop them this way, they sometimes drop them all over the tank. And though she's only 9 months old it's still obviously possible...As long as she's eating, not lethargic, no black beard, etc. then I'd make a lay-box for her, and put her in it, as she'll need to lay the rest of the clutch if they are eggs. Also, you need to up her calcium and protein, as they usually lay more than one clutch per season too...

Out of curiosity, what is her normal daily diet? And what substrate is she on?

dragongirl117

Original Poster
The white is the urate. She had a clean, normal color and texture poop, the only abnormality noticed being those two semi-round, squishy things that came out encased in her poop. She passed them just fine, and she acted like it was just an ordinary poop for her. After she was done, she was extremely alert, seemed well hydrated, and I fed her some collard greens and crickets dusted with calcium until she wouldn't eat any more. She kept pacing and acting like she wanted to be let out of her tank before I had to go to work, but I'm going to check in on her during my lunch break to see how she's doing and make sure she's been eating the leafy greens I left for her.

The substrate is a sand/rock mat that rolls out. Nothing is loose, and I always monitor the substrate mat to make sure I get any loose rock out of there.

Normal diet is collard greens daily, I give her a few blueberries a day, and in the last month I started giving her the Repashy grub pie for protein and essential nutrition.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It does sound like she has eggs to lay, the glass-surfing, pacing, etc. is very typical behavior. Do you have a lay-box ready for her? If not, you need to get one together ASAP, as if 2 eggs already came out, the rest are coming soon, and it can be as many as 30+ eggs in a clutch.

If you've never made a laybox before, you need to get a large, plastic tub, like the kind you can buy at Walmart, that is large enough that you can put a large hill of dampened sand on one side of the tub that she can dig a tunnel/cave in. If you buy a big 50 pound bag of playsand at Lowes or Home Deport For like $5 that seems to be what works best for them, as you can dampen it slightly and it will hold it's shape (you don't want the sand wet, just damp enough that a tunnel/cave will hold it's shape). Just pile the dampened sand on one side of the large tub, and about halfway up the sand hill start digging a tunnel for her. Then any time she starts glass-surfing or pacing like she wants out, put her in the plastic tub, in front of the tunnel you started to dig.

If you've never been through this before, it's a process that requires patience, lol. A lot of the time they'll be pacing like crazy and you put them in the laybox and then they just sit there and look at you. It's a process of putting them in the laybox when they start getting frantic, letting them in there for an hour or 2 at a time, and if they don't start digging in that period of time then you put them back in their tank, then the next time they get frantic you put them back in the laybox, etc. Hopefully this will go quickly since she's already passed 2 eggs.

Keep the laybox around, as usually they lay 2-3 clutches, it's rare that they only lay a single clutch, though it does happen.

I'm going to assume that she passed the eggs in her bowel movement because she didn't have a laybox to lay them in, and she couldn't hold them in any longer, so when she pushed out the bowel movement, the eggs came along with it. They typically drop eggs all over the place in the absence of a place to bury them, so that's most likely what happened. Once she starts digging in the laybox, just let her be, at that point they'll generally lay them all at one time, which can take a few hours.

After she's done laying the eggs, give her a nice, warm bath, lots of water by mouth to drink, and food. She'll need lots of protein and calcium to replace the weight she'll drop after laying the clutch, and to replace the calcium that she used to make the eggs. And keep both the extra food and calcium up for the follow-up clutches.

dragongirl117

Original Poster
Thanks for the information! I was going to get the sand early this evening after getting off work. She's been doing just fine today, haven't seen any more eggs come since yesterday. Update is she's still active, happy, and very healthy looking, and I've been making sure she gets more protein and calcium than before as well as her daily collard greens for the high B-vitamins for energy and metabolism.

I'm highly knowledgeable in nutritional needs as I'm going to school for medical laboratory science and know a lot about clinical chemistry and physiology :) My girl Draconia is a beardie I nursed back to health when she was just 2 1/2 months old. She became severely ill from an unknown source and suffered from seizures for a few days due to depleted calcium and vitamin deficiency until I could get her levels back to a normal range. She's been nothing but affectionate as a result and knows she's in good hands :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom