Possibly missing scales (white spot)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Hello all! So there is a white spot on my Iggy, where there was once a bruise that had lasted since its introduction at the vet around December 14th, 2017 (if memory serves me correctly) until quite recently, where it has seemingly turned into what it is now. I just gave him a bath and he's very hyperactive from all the heat, so it was most difficult getting this photo without any help from my partner since he's at work XD The colours are really popping out on Iggy right now too due to the bath. But here's the photo of what I'm talking about:

95175-5136082927.jpg

Is it just a patch of missing scales, and if so, should I be worried? Plus, how did this happen with just a bruise (albeit a pretty severe bruising)? The bruise originally occurred when he was given a bolus of saline solution as three separate injections. The incident which took place at the time is described here: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=238668

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Some vets just really mess up a reptile, it seems like this could have been avoided. Injections sites can become very irritated/ infected. This looks like there was a significant wound at the injection site and has now become a scar. You can put raw honey on it if you like [ Manuka is good but any raw honey will do ] The honey is a natural antimicrobial + wound healer + can be used very effectively but you can't have loose insects in the tank at all that would be attracted to the honey.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD":mnj9d794 said:
Some vets just really mess up a reptile, it seems like this could have been avoided. Injections sites can become very irritated/ infected. This looks like there was a significant wound at the injection site and has now become a scar. You can put raw honey on it if you like [ Manuka is good but any raw honey will do ] The honey is a natural antimicrobial + wound healer + can be used very effectively but you can't have loose insects in the tank at all that would be attracted to the honey.

Hmm, this would explain the severe bruising in that case. I just find it odd because this is Dr. Terry Balamy that did the injections, and a lot of people here hold her in high regard, including myself. Is it worthwhile putting raw honey on it now, considering it looks pretty much healed? Seems almost like scar tissue to me...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sometimes injections leave no mark at all but there's always the risk of some trauma or infection, not necessarily the vets fault and at least the fluids perked Iggy up at the time. It doesn't look like it's anything serious, but the honey will still help if it's still healing + the skin is stretching tight there.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I agree, this happens, regardless of the Vet, even experienced reptile vets have this happen, simply because they have to give the sub-cu fluids in certain spots only, and it just depends on the scaling in that particular area. It's scar tissue, that's all. This happens to people often when a nurse/doctor puts in an IV or is trying to take blood, usually it's a new or inexperienced nurse that starts moving the needle around instead of pulling it out and starting over, then you get a huge hematoma, and after the bruising goes away you often get a hard spot of scar tissue.

It's nothing to worry about at all, but it will probably be there from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom