Why is my beardie in his hide a lot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new to this site so forgive me if I mess up anything! I have a beardie somewhere between 7-9 months old (the store wasn't sure how old he was when i got him 6 months ago, but he was definitely not a hatchling), and he seems to be acting kinda strange recently. When he was younger, he never used his hide, and eventually got too big for it. when i got him a newer one that fits him, he absolutely loved it. But now it seems he likes it a bit too much. He likes to sleep and sit in his hide a lot of the day recently, and i was origonally really worried about it. He has a fantastic appetite (eats like a hog every day), he's growing like a weed, his poops look good, and he's active, happy, curious, and alert when i take him out of his cage or feed him. he seems to be doing really well aside of this hide-thing. I thought it could have something to do with shedding, but it's been a while and he hasn't shed anything (I've been giving him plenty of baths). I've been planing on upgrading his tank to a bigger one asap that he'll use throughout his adult life, but I'm waiting until it becomes available. Should i be super worried about this? Could this have anything to do with sexual maturity, because he hissed at for the first time a day or two after this began

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post some photos of him? What do you have in place for lights and what are the temperatures in the tank? If he is eating well, that's a good sign. If he is active when you have him out and otherwise looks OK then it's probably not something to worry about. Sometimes they just go through moods like that. I'll be glad to review your setup to see if anything stands out as a possible issue though.

You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

BeardedBeings

Original Poster
His basking spot is around 98-101 degrees, and while I’m not sure about his basking lamp, I do know that we have a Repti-Sun 10.0. The cool side is likely around 84ish degrees. His cage is probably around 40 gallons, but I’m waiting for a 70 gallon to upgrade to soon, and I do not use sand, but rather a repti-carpet. Also lately, it seems like he isn’t pooping as often as he used to when he was little. He pooped a few days ago, and doesn’t seem to have a difficult time pooping, but he just doesn’t do it as often. I’ve felt around his belly for anything hard that wasn’t supposed to be there and have looked out for him showing signs of pain or discomfort under his adbdonem, but it seems like it’s all chubs. (Also, his cage looks really dirty in that last picture, but that’s because I was in the process cleaning it and “scooping” all the stuff into a pile to make cleaning easier when I saw him looking really cute and just had to take a pic)
97423-8207182460.jpg
97423-159337866.jpg
97423-2262136443.jpg
97423-7812359524.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom