Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Hi hope everyone enjoyed their holidays!

So I’m writing to ask about weight. Lizzy seems to have a big belly. The vet said she’s just very healthy but she said the same thing about my Lab who’s 109 pounds and is definitely overweight lol.

Lizzy was diagnosed with ADV but we don’t have any of the big issues with her except she sometimes stops in the middle of “whatever we are doing” to kind of stare of for a minute until I touch her face.

She gets her belly up off the floor when she bothers to walk around the house, but it’s usually looking for somewhere to nap. She also will never chase her food. I thought dragons were a bit more active. She does come to her glass front and beg, for food and a cuddle tho lol.

She likes to use her fat belly to support herself and this worries me :/

Zanna

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
Hi, I'm sorry your dragons worrying you :( do you have any photos you can upload? My youngest dragon won't chase food, shell generally just sit and wait till they run near her, which I believe is within normal behaviour for food :) the fact she can get her belly off the floor is probably a good thing, do you know how much she weighs, and how long she is? X

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I have a young 8 month old boy with the biggest belly you've every seen, and my Certified Reptile Vet laughs at him, then yells at me, though he doesn't eat anymore than my year and 2 month old female every has, and she's 19" and weighed 516 grams a few days ago, she's big but not like him. He's only 15" or so long right now, but his belly is massive. He eats everything, he eats all his bugs then all his salad, he always has. He's also a lazy, lazy blob, who has free-run time in the house now that he's a big enough to do so, but he doesn't go far either, while my female goes off and actually runs (more like "scurries", they don't really run unless they are scared by something, like outside, then they are fast as lightning). He had his first blood work taken a couple of months ago, and it came back fine, I was worried about Fatty Liver Disease or something of the like, but he's healthy. Just fat.

Considering that your Dragon has ADV, I'd be happy he's eating so well honestly. I'd be hesitant to cut-back on his food, just because I'd be afraid of him losing his appetite all together. If the only sigh/symptom of the ADV that he has right now is a little "Star-Gazing" then he's doing very well. As already asked, do you know what his length and weight are?

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My bad, I’ve been on this forom for two years and should know better than to not include details!!!

I’m at urgent care atm ... here’s a couple of photos and I’m going to re weigh Lizzy when I get home lol. Of course weight and length are crucial... “slaps forehead”

That’s where I’ve been lax... the adv... it’s ok girl just eat lol ....
Here’s one of here top fat head... and supporting herself on her belly argh lol... I’ll get a better one of her belly from her perch on my headboard this afternoon
88187-714143333.jpg
88187-3064182531.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
From those pics she looks a bit fluffy but not bad. A few more pics when you get home later will be helpful. Hopefully your urgicare visit is not for anything serious.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yep, very similar to my boy, except he's only 8 months old and hasn't yet had his big growth spurt, so he still has a pretty small head and small legs, like a juvenile, and then this enormous belly. It's really quite odd looking and I constantly feel guilty about it, lol. I had his very first blood work done 2 months ago and I was certain his liver panel was going to be bad, along with other metabolic levels, but they were all fine. My CRV said that some dragons are just prone to putting weight on in their bellies only, and that once he goes through his big growth spurt where his head and legs catch up with his belly, he'll look normal..I don't think so, his belly would be big regardless, lol..

I'd be the same way if I had an ADV positive Dragon, I'd just be thrilled that they were eating a lot. I don't honestly know what the protocol is for an ADV positive Dragon as far as their diet goes, but Tracie would know what the best way to handle it is in relation to the ADV. But honestly from that photo I don't think he looks too bad, as AHBD said, he's got a little "Fluff", lmao, but nothing alarming. My guy is alarming....I'm debating on posting a photo of him to make you feel better about your guy...uhg...

This is the only photo I have already loaded here that even remotely shows the girth of his belly, and this doesn't do it justice. This is about a month and a half old, it's much, much "Fluffier" now... :cry:

89968-7887116149.jpg

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
88187-3916888135.jpg
Nothing too serious AHBD ;) ty for input hon. Here’s more fatty pics lol. These are on my puffy comforter which makes belly look closer than is to ground. But I nearly cried when I took these lol... post worm fest ;)
88187-1545424583.jpg
88187-1671659844.jpg

Lizzy isn’t quite 2 years old yet. She’s 19 inches and 567 grams if I did my math right. 1 pound 3 ounces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom